MUG Communication Conference

ccfa

The first annual Michigan Undergraduate and Graduate Communication Conference will be hosted by Central Michigan University on Feb. 20.

The event begins with a roundtable discussion at 10 a.m. in Moore Hall 105 followed by a keynote address by communication professor Michael Papa. It continues with various communication-related panel discussions taking place throughout the day.

Kirsten Weber, director of Graduate Studies and assistant professor of communication, organized the event and invited students from Michigan colleges and universities to submit their work for review. Each panel will feature selected undergraduate and graduate students speaking about their work in various areas of communication.

Weber organized this conference because she thought there was a need in the state for an event that invites students to showcase their work. She hopes the event gets students excited about research and sparks scholarly conversation.

Alma senior Emily Jerome will present her paper as part of the interpersonal communication panel and is excited for the opportunity to present her work in an academic setting.

“I’ve done a bit of public speaking in a less formal setting, but this will be the first time I’ve presented academically and I’m excited to see what that’s like,” Jerome said.

According to Weber, the conference is a great opportunity for students to expose themselves to the field of communication and to be part of a professional experience. She said communication skills benefit students both professionally and personally.

“One of the most sought-after skills is the ability to communicate effectively,” Weber said.

The conference will bring in students and faculty members from other Michigan universities.

“I think it’s a great opportunity for CMU to host all of these other universities, to host both the students and the faculty, so they can see some of the cool things we’re doing here,” Weber said.