Resisting and Disorderly citations up in 2014

police

The number of citations issued for resisting arrest and obstruction of justice increased in 2014.

Central Michigan University and Mount Pleasant police departments issued a combined total of 49 citations, up from a combined 44 in 2013.

Of those citations, 15 were issued by CMUPD in 2014, compared with eight the previous year. Police do not specifically record whether citations are issued to students.

The charge is typically a felony that carries a potential sentence of two years in prison and a fine of $2,000, with penalties that become more severe depending on the situation. The charges cover a broad range of behavior that can include assault, battery, opposing and endangering a police officer.

Police said while resisting arrest is a generally straightforward charge, obstructing justice depends on the situation. CMUPD Lt. Larry Klaus said obstruction generally involves people hindering police work.

“(Citations are written when people) place roadblocks in the way of an investigation or lie to the police. Those things can earn you a charge of obstructing justice,” Klaus said. “Work with us, not against us.”

From a student perspective, whether or not they are charged with resisting or obstructing can seem based on the discretion of the officer.

Clarkston freshmen Nicomedes Rodriguez said if he ever faced the charge, he would defend himself in court.

“I would never try to run from the police,” Rodriguez said. “If something happened, I would rather tell my side of the story than just accept the charge.”

MPPD Public Information Officer Jeff Browne said people who do not know how to interact with the police often get themselves into trouble. He remembers the most severe experience he had citing someone for resisting and obstructing.

“I went in to break up a fight,” Browne said. “All of a sudden, one of the subjects punched me in the face. Most of the time resisting and obstructing is a secondary charge. We’ll start off with a simple infraction, and the subject turns it into something much more serious.”

Browne said people who overreact to being cited by an officer are the ones who usually get arrested for resisting and obstructing.

“Most people who are being cited for minor in possession, or maybe open intoxicants, just accept the citation and pay the fine,” Browne said. “Other people try to run away, or try to argue with the officer. They end up getting a much more serious charge and end up in court.”

Students, and other residents, may challenge citations in court. Those who try to dispute a citation with an officer while they are being written up suffer for it.

“If I catch you with a bottle and write you an MIP, you can accept the citation and be on your way,” Browne said. “You won’t get arrested. But if you start fighting with the police while they’re doing their job, you’re going for a ride to the station.”