SGA senators can represent colleges without being members of them

dsc_0568

Student Government Association President Charles Mahone presents a new amendment to the Senate during their meeting on Monday, Feb. 9, 2015 in Anspach Hall.

An amendment passed Monday by the Student Government Association House and Senate will make it easier for students to be appointed to the Senate in the upcoming SGA elections.

Last year students interested in campaigning to be a senator could only fill seats for the academic college they were enrolled in. This resulted in 30 students running for Senate, yet SGA was only able to fill 16 because of the policy.

According to the policy change, any student can represent an academic college, even if they aren't a student there.

SGA Vice President Mariah Urueta said she understands the intention behind the bylaw but would rather see the Senate full instead of having the student body underrepresented.

"It really hurts (SGA) by not letting us have a fully-functioning senate," she said. 

Students within the House raised concerns about not having their college represented by a senator. They were reassured that a senator would be assigned to them, regardless if they came from their college or not.

Kyle Cortez, press secretary for SGA, said the system being implemented would be the same as it was prior to Mahone’s election.

“If SGA did not pass this (amendment) today, senate elections would have been the same as they were last year,” Cortez said. “This election will be held differently. It will be going back to what happened in the 2012 election. SGA decided that the system was flawed.”

House member Crystal Pendergrass said she is in favor of the bylaw returning to its old state as it promotes a free thinking Senate.

“The more people the better,” Pendergrass said. “We have a lot of people in the house. Why not strengthen our Senate and have a more diverse body?”

Any student can run to be a senator in SGA. The organization will hold an elections forum at 8 p.m., Monday Feb. 16 in Anspach Hall 162. Election applications will be available. 

SGA leaders will give an overview of the group and describe the various responsibilities of senators. Students looking to run are encouraged to attend and ask questions. 

Applications are due at noon Friday, Feb. 27. Forms must be submitted to the SGA elections director mailbox in the Student Involvement Center in the Bovee University Center 104G.

About Jordyn Hermani

Troy senior Jordyn Hermani, Editor-in-Chief of Central Michigan Life, is a double major ...

View Posts by Jordyn Hermani →