Camp Central expanding to new cities, students

main_patty
Officers and paramedics prepare the stretcher for a student who needed assistance on March 17, at

For seventh graders that attend Camp Central for College Candidates, the transition to college life can be easier.

Camp Central started in 2014 as a way to help younger children experience life on a college campus and become educated in science, technology, engineering and math.

Last year, 50 students participated. Camp Central is expanding to include more students from Flint, Saginaw and Detroit.

Grand Rapids freshman Molly Stull is an education major and has worked very closely with middle school students during her observation hours. Stull said that not only is the exposure to college important, but educating children in STEM is critical.

“Science and math are the two fields that are progressing faster than ever,” Stull said. “Middle school is when a lot of students are discovering themselves. Exposure to STEM fields that age is essential, but often missed.”

Stull said expanding Camp Central to other cities could change the lives of the students living in areas that may have less educational opportunities and can make them start thinking of what they want to do in the future.

“Students are very moldable at this age,” Stull said. “They will begin making decisions in the next few years that will impact how the rest of their life plays out. Exposing students to college life help them explore all the possibilities for their future.”

She said Camp Central is important because it helps students find their passion.

“If I could have attended a program like this where it is STEM oriented, I would have learned from a much earlier age that I am very strong in science,” Stull said. “I am so incredibly passionate about science, but it took me until two years ago to figure that out. Having middle school students attend Camp Central can expose them to things they might not be exposed to at home or in their schools.”

College of Education and Human Services Dean Elizabeth Dale-Pehrsson said today’s jobs are requiring community college or University education and because of this, CMU wants to show that this is a possibility for anyone to attain.

“We hope Camp Central spurs young people on to thinking of attending a university,” Pehrsson said. “If it is CMU, even better. If it is not, we are trying to engender a college going culture in Michigan.”

At Camp Central, campers are able participate in hands-on experiences while the university’s staff, faculty and teacher education students delivered STEM learning styles. CMU students are also able to assist with the camp.

Last year, the students that worked with the campers were mostly from the GEAR UP program. Pehrsson said this summer they are working to expand to all students who qualify.

“We are hoping that students attending CMU will apply to work at Camp Central 2015,” Pehrsson said. “It is a great opportunity to engage with young middle school students from around Michigan and to help these children learn about how wonderful attending college can be.”

Mary Henley, director of the GEAR UP program, said not only is it a great chance for kids to learn about college, but it also leads to positive outcomes for CMU students.

“CMU students have the opportunity to volunteer with GEAR UP students to increase their leadership skills,” Henley said. “It also provides a sense of giving back to ensure students are receiving the proper skills to prepare them for post-secondary education.”