MPPD officers stay busy with crime during spring break

mppdfiller

The Mount Pleasant Police Department dealt with armed robbery, drug arrests and other city crime while students were away during spring break.

Officers responded to an armed robbery over prescription drugs March 10 in the 800 block of Whitney Street.

The suspect, described as a white male, about 6 feet tall, wearing blue jeans, a dark blue sweatshirt, a camouflage ski mask and black leather gloves, knocked on the victim’s front door, entered with a weapon drawn and locked the door behind him.

The victim stated the suspect never spoke, showing a hand-written note that said “give me all the money and drugs.” The suspect got away with less than $100 in cash and some prescription medication. There were no injuries.

According to police, the victim was specifically targeted and there is no reason to believe the community is in any danger.

Officers responded to a robbery at the 7-11 store at 2397 S. Mission Street, arresting Abdullah Ahmed A Dubis, a 21 year old Mount Pleasant man who was caught on other charges by a deputy from the Gratiot County Sherrif's Department during a traffic stop.

Police believe Dubis, a former student at Central Michigan University, entered the 7-11 and demanded money with his hand inside of a bag, claiming he was carrying a weapon. However, no weapon was ever seen or recovered.

Dubis then fled the premises in his dark colored four-door sedan heading south on US-127. Officers interviewed the 7-11 night clerk who provided several details about the subject's vehicle as well as his physical description, which they shared with other local law enforcement agencies.

Dubis was arraigned on one felony count of Armed Robbery and one count of Unarmed Robbery. He being held at the Isabella County Jail on a $1 million dollar bond awaiting trial.

The MPPD arrested a man and woman who were transporting eight crack cocaine rocks and were in possession of other drugs and paraphernalia March 7.

Officers arrested the driver, Ryann Rempp, a 24-year-old Vestaburg man for possession of a controlled substance with intent to deliver, possession of marijuana and third degree fleeing and eluding. The passenger, Heather Wright, a 23-year-old Blanchard woman was arrested for possession of a controlled substance with intent to deliver and possession of marijuana.

A woman called the police and claimed a vehicle had sped by and tried to run her over a few blocks from High and South Washington Streets. The driver of the vehicle attempted to speed away from the police in a chase that lasted approximately half a mile to the intersection of High and Watson Streets.

Officers noticed a glass pipe and metal screens typically used for smoking crack in the vehicle after making contact. Wright admitted they were in possession of eight crack rocks valued at a total of $250, marijuana and a syringe thought to be filled with heroin.

The pair are currently being held at the Isabella County Jail. Rempp's bond is set at $50,000 and Wright is being held on a $30,000 bond.

In the last three weeks, MPPD has made two heroin busts from traffic stops, and the Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe suffered the loss of John Sanders, who died of a heroin overdose February.

Lieutenant Mark Uribe of the Bay Area Narcotics Enforcement Team said heroin use is on the rise in Mount Pleasant.

"We made some arrests six months ago that led to a decrease of heroin in the city, but new dealers have moved in," Uribe said. "It feels like whack-a-mole, we take one down and another one pops up."

Tribal Police are working in conjunction with BAYANET to find information leading to further evidence or charges in connection with Sanders' death.

BAYANET currently has a person of interest being held on unrelated charges and a parole violation. Police are processing multiple pieces of evidence regarding the person of interest being held. Officers have information that the individual has visited Mount Pleasant several times and made dozens of phone calls to the Mount Pleasant area. Police have seized the suspect's cell phone and are searching for linking evidence to the overdose death of John Sanders.

Mount Pleasant officers are also investigating a fraud complaint and is seeking help from the public to identify a person of interest.

Police are attempting to find an individual who has been using a stolen debit card and pin number to make withdrawals from an account that does not belong to them.