Kaya Coffeehouse seeks new ownership

main_kaya

St. Clair senior Alayssia Jabiro makes drinks for customers Feb. 22 at Kaya Coffee House in Mount Pleasant.

Kaya Coffeehouse is for sale, and the current owners are looking for the right person to take on the business.

The owners of the coffeehouse, the Cotton family, have decided it is time to sell the shop to someone who is willing to take on the responsibility. In search of a new owner, the shop was originally offered to the baristas as well as some of Kaya's regular customers.

The owners said they have yet to receive a serious offer.

“I hope it will stay Kaya, because even though we added our own flare, we kept the roots from which it came," said Remus alumna and owner Elly Cotton. "We are hoping for a new owner who will add their own awesomeness to it and I’m excited to see the next step for the shop.”

The Cotton family first became involved with Kaya seven years ago when Elly started working at the business. She became a manager during her sophomore year. A family friend was the owner of Kaya and convinced the Cottons to purchase it. Elly became an owner along with her parents.

“I was a teacher when the shop was first bought,” said Chris Cotton, owner and Elly's mother. “I now work as a barista two days a week and help Elly with book keeping. Together we hire employees and her father does all of the maintanence.”

Elly graduated from Central Michigan University in 2011 with a degree in teaching and special education. 

She and her parents had no previous business background when they bought the shop, but thought it would be a good experience for Elly to learn management skills.

Her parents are now retired. They decided to sell Kaya when Elly finished school.

“Owning the shop while being a student definitely had its challenges,” Elly said. “The more I was away from there it was harder to keep up with what is needed as far as stocking and inventory. It’s interesting because you’re with cliental all day at school, but it’s hard to be in two places at once. That’s why I found it was important to train employees to be independent and handle responsibilities.”

Maintaining the values and aesthetic of Kaya is important to owners keep in mind when looking for new ownership. The coffee shop purchases all coffee, tea and food from local farmers or companies, unless they make it themselves. The shop is also part of the Mount Pleasant recycling program, where local gardeners recycle their coffee grounds.

“I love working at Kaya because of how many customers are regulars,” said Ada senior Shannon Dahlquist. “Students, professors and residents of Mount Pleasant come into Kaya to enjoy the chill atmosphere and chat.”

Flushing senior Ted Greenfelder said he hopes Kaya will continue to offer the same services under new ownership.

"I think the coolest thing about Kaya is that they are open for 24 hours for exams so people have a place to study," he said. "Hopefully the new owners decide to keep it that way, because it's really convenient."

If you are interested in more information about purchasing Kaya Coffeehouse, contact the owners at  kaya.c.house@gmail.com.