EDITORIAL: Safety over punishment

Students have medical amnesty in dangerous situations

editorial

Since 2012, Michigan law has encouraged students to take responsibility for each other in emergency situations by granting them medical amnesty.

Public Act 125 outlines the terms under which a minor can be exempted from legal punishment for calling emergency medical services after consuming alcohol. 

With St. Patrick's Day 15 days away, students should keep this law in mind. The risks of not seeking medical help far outweigh the benefits of avoiding legal trouble. 

Breaking the law by drinking while underage is never advisable. However, Public Act 125 exempts students who call for help from punishment, a practice Mount Pleasant law enforcement has followed for years. 

Students are exempt if they call for help for a friend or themselves, or accompany a friend to seek medical help.

If there was no law in place to protect students from legal ramifications, hesitating to call emergency medical services for fear of an MIP would not be worth it to some.

According to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, more than 1,800 college students between the ages of 18 and 24 will die each year from alcohol-related injuries. 

The Central Michigan University community was given a harsh reminder of the dangers of unchecked alcohol consumption in October with the death of Michael Hartnett, 18, who was visiting campus for Homecoming weekend. 

Watching out for your friends while under the influence can make the difference between a fun night out and a tragedy. Calling an ambulance or other emergency service when a friend needs medical help is a huge part of taking care of them.

If students put themselves at risk by drinking underage, they need to be prepared for potential consequences and prepared to act responsibly.

Sometimes potential danger is not always apparent. A friend could look like they are simply sleeping it off. This does not mean your friend is out of harm's way. Never hesitate to call emergency services, whether a person is physically hurt, has put themselves in harm's way or appears to be sleeping.

Avoiding trouble, no matter how much, is never worth a person's safety or life. Thanks to Michigan law, that's a decision students shouldn't have to think twice about.