St. Patrick's Day social media reveals students learning under the influence

There were five cases of students being removed from campus due to alcohol poisoning Tuesday, one bringing an ambulance to campus to take the student to McLaren Central Michigan hospital. 

Five minor in possession citations were given out on campus, one resulting in bringing the student to jail, said Lt. Cameron Wassman of the Central Michigan University Police Department.

CMUPD assists any medical call made to campus. Because of the nature of recent St. Patrick's Day celebrations, Officer Allan McArthur said police were on high alert for students pushing the limits of alcohol consumption.

Throughout the day, social media posts regarding students attending class or being on campus intoxicated appeared frequently. 

"I saw people in class with water bottles with alcohol in them," said Croswell junior Miranda Jerlecki. "I've seen a lot of stuff on Twitter."

St. Patrick's Day started as a cultural and religious celebration on the day of the death of Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland. Today, it has become a reason to party for many students at CMU. Many students don't let classes to take away from their time to consume alcohol. 

"A lot of people will drink in class, especially if it's a movie day," said Illinois senior Jason Clements. 

Clements referenced a Yik Yak post that said "Professor says if we would've brought him beer he would've given us extra credit, so half the class offers him the alcohol they have in their backpacks."

Some professors have experienced a drunken student in class on the holiday.

"Five or six years ago, I made the mistake of having a project due on St. Patrick's Day," said Department of Journalism professor Ken McDonald. "Students knew they had to show up, and some were visibly intoxicated or smelled like alcohol." 

McDonald said the students were not disruptive, but it made him realize this was a consequence of requiring students to be in class on the holiday. 

"The percentage of people looking for a reason to celebrate has gone up," he said. "Eleven years ago I didn't think about St. Patrick's Day attendance going down. Now I think about what to do based on the calendar."

At Central Michigan University, professors have the right to dismiss students from class who are being disruptive. 

"If a student shows up to class intoxicated, professors can ask the student to leave class," said Director of Student Conduct Tom Idema. "If a student refuses or causes any problems, the professor can call in assistance, like the police, to deal with the student."

If police are asked to assist with a case of potential alcohol poisoning, they will first check if the student or individual isn't suffering from a pre-existing medical condition. If it is a case of alcohol poisoning or a dangerously high blood-alcohol content, McArthur said officers will encourage the student to go with EMS workers for treatment. Once they are treated, students are released from the hospital without repercussions, due to medical amnesty.

The policy is practiced by Michigan police departments, and means overlooking alcohol violations to encourage dangerously intoxicated people or those with them to call for help.

"We prepare for it each year and make sure we have the resources available to help (students)," McArthur said.

CMU police will only enforce state laws if they come across an intoxicated student on their own accord or if there is a non-medical call.

Staff reporter Ben Solis also contributed to this article.

About Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith is a super-senior at Central Michigan University. She comes from metro Detroit ...

View Posts by Sydney Smith →