EDITORIAL: Safeguard your spring break

Students can take steps to protect themselves and belongings over break

editorial

Spring break is fast approaching; only a few classes and midterms separate students from a week of freedom.

Some students will travel south to soak up the sun. Others will rack up service hours on alternative break trips. Some will return to their hometowns or stay in Mount Pleasant to work. 

No matter what your spring break has in store for you, one thing you should keep in mind before you leave is safety. Keeping yourself and your belongings protected over break is not only advisable, it's simple.

Protect your residence

Taking steps to protect personal belongings over break is vital. The Central Michigan University Police Department reports electronics as the most commonly stolen items over spring break. As trivial as it might sound, double checking that you've locked your residence hall room, apartment or house can prevent a devastating return to school. 

Specifically, students in residence halls should take care to lock their windows, especially on the terrace level. Hiding valuables will do no good if you've forgotten to lock your room.

The same goes for locking vehicles. With fewer cars on campus over break, the ones left behind become targets to thieves. Cars left parked on streets rather than garages or lots are exposed to tickets, the elements, potential traffic accidents and vandals.

Taking these measures to ensure the protection of your belongings is a necessity. Reminding your friends to do the same is the next step. 

We are constantly reminded to take care of one another here at CMU. This sentiment shouldn't go out the window the moment we leave campus.

Protect yourself and your friends

Whether students stay in town or go abroad, drinking could be an option for them. According to a Forbes article, the largest danger facing students during spring break is binge drinking. The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism defines binge drinking as consuming more than five drinks in one evening.

Use a buddy system, keep watch over each others health and remind each other to lock up before you leave. Watch out for your friend's well being while on vacation, and watch out for their best interests here at school.

Spring break is a time for relaxation before the final push to the end of the semester. 

Use these tips to ensure a safe, pleasurable break is had by all.