COLUMN: Baseball team is legit, despite schedule

2_baseballl

Freshmen infielder Zach McKinstry leads off third during a series game against Eastern Michigan on April 10 at Theunissen Stadium.

You play with the cards you’re dealt.

That’s what the Central Michigan University baseball team has been doing this season. Winning has been a common result.

The Chippewas sit atop the Mid-American Conference West Division at 12-3.

Coming into this weekend’s matchup with Bowling Green State University, the Chippewas combined opponents conference record is 33-42.

Those include games against Ohio University, Miami (Ohio), the University at Buffalo, the University of Toledo and Eastern Michigan University. Besides Ohio (22-15, 8-7 MAC) you’re looking at the bottom feeders in the MAC.

Toledo’s overall record is bad (15-24), but with a 8-7 record in conference that’s good for third place in the west division.

Kent State University (21-16, 9-6 MAC) is tied with Akron University (18-19, 9-6) for first place in the MAC Weat Division.

CMU will not play those two in the regular season although a matchup with either one or both is likely down the road in the MAC Tournament.

In order to be the best you have to play the best.

There is no doubt right now that the Chippewas are the best team in the conference. They have played the games put before them and have performed at a very high level.

Sure, having a shot at KSU or UA would be nice but’s it’s not going to happen until late May in the Tournament.

It’s about winning the games you have on the schedule. Win every game you can. That will ultimately set CMU up for success when the postseason arrives.

Maybe then the Zips and the Golden Eagles will be waiting for the Chippewas.

Until that time comes just win. It’s not easy to win.

CMU may make it look easy right now but it’s not easy. Every team is gunning for the Chippewas.

Every weekend is a battle.

You can’t play everyone especially when KSU and UA are in another division.

Just keep winning and everything will fold into place, which most likely will include matchups with the two best teams in the east division.

Stop talking about the schedule and talk more about the wins the Chippewas keep putting up every single weekend.