Baseball’s six-game winning streak snapped in loss to Buffalo

Freshman outfielder Daniel Jipping makes contact with a ball April 15 against Michigan State at Comerica Park.

Central Michigan University baseball's six-game winning streak came to an end Friday night with an 11-7 loss to the University at Buffalo.

Sophomore pitcher Nick Deeg started for the Chippewas (25-13, 10-3 MAC). Deeg went 3 1/3 innings, giving up nine earned runs on 10 hits and two walks.

UB's 11 runs and 18 hits are the most CMU has given up in a game this season.

Friday's loss was CMU’s first since the 16-inning game against Toledo April 4.

Junior right fielder Logan Regnier, junior third baseman Joe Houlihan and freshman shortstop Zach McKinstry led the Chippewas with two hits apiece. Houlhan finished with two RBI’s as well.

It was a sloppy first inning for Buffalo defensively and on the mound with four walks, one passed ball, two wild pitches and two errors.

The Chippewas took advantage at the plate and on the bases with three steals, two by senior second baseman Pat MacKenzie and one from sophomore center fielder Alex Borglin.

Borglin scored on an error by the second baseman, making it a 1-0 ballgame with no outs.

Regnier followed with an RBI single scoring MacKenzie.

Houlhan walked with the bases loaded, driving in senior catcher Tyler Huntey to give CMU a 3-0 lead heading into the bottom of the first inning.

A single and a double scored two runs for UB in the bottom of the second making it a 3-2 ballgame.

In the fourth inning freshman outfielder Daniel Jipping singled to center field scoring Logan Regnier from third base.

Freshman outfielder Colton Bradley replaced Jipping in left field to begin the third inning for UB.

The Bulls scored four runs in the third inning to take the lead 6-4 heading into the fourth. From there the momentum would shift in the Bulls’ favor offensively.

UB jumped on Deeg (6-3, 2.89 ERA) in the fourth inning, scoring three more runs making it a 9-4 lead, which ended Deeg’s day.

Two more runs were tacked on by the Bulls in the fifth inning on a single to center field.

CMU added two more runs in the eighth inning on a MacKenzie single and a wild pitch.

The Chippewas will play the Bulls tomorrow at 1 p.m. Junior pitcher Sean Renzi (1-1, 2.81 ERA) will start for CMU.