Season-high 18 hits carries CMU to 16-6 win over Eastern Michigan in series opener

Senior infielder Pat McKenzie leads off third base as Logan Regnier bats against Eastern Michigan Friday at Theunissen Stadium. The Chippewas allowed no runs through the sixth inning, defeating the Eagles, 16-6 and would win again Saturday 18-3.

On a windy and cool Friday afternoon Central Michigan University's baseball team defeated Eastern Michigan University 16-6 in the series opener Friday.

CMU has now scored 42 runs in its last three games. The Chippewas move to 22-12 overall and 8-2 in the Mid-American Conference.

Head Coach Steve Jaksa said it was important that the team was able to take advantage of some early defensive mistakes by EMU.

“They (EMU) made a couple of mistakes in the second inning and we capitalized,” said Jaksa. “They had a passed ball and the error in the infield. Other than that it just opened the gates and we got a lot of hits after that and now we’re know we’re up 7-0.”

CMU finished with a season-high 18 hits, which included a home run by junior first baseman Zack Fields.

Sophomore pitcher Nick Deeg started on the mound for the Chippewas. He picked up his team leading sixth win going seven strong innings allowing one run on eight hits to go along with four strikeouts.

Jaksa said he was impressed with Deeg’s ability to remain focused while pitching with a big lead.

“I talked with Nick (Deeg) after the game about the ability to pitch with a lead, which is sometimes hard to do but really important on a day like today,” Jaksa said.

Senior second baseman Pat MacKenzie led CMU in hits with four, while freshman Daniel Jipping led in runs batted in with four.

The Eagles loaded the bases in the first inning with a walk followed by two singles.

Deeg retired three consecutive batters after loading the bases to get out of the inning.

“I fell behind in a lot of counts,” said Deeg. “I was able to make some big pitches in pressure situations, which I don't mind at all. When they (Eastern) had the bases loaded it just gave me more of an opportunity to focus in 100-percent and have my defense make some plays.”

Junior right fielder Logan Regnier drilled his sixth triple of the season over the center fielder’s head driving in MacKenzie.

CMU held a 1-0 lead after one inning.

The Chippewas heated up at the plate in the second inning, scoring six runs on three hits, an error and a fielder’s choice.

Fields scored after an error by the third baseman making it 2-0 CMU with one out in the second inning.

Sophomore center fielder Alex Borglin followed that up with a single to right field, scoring freshman shortstop Zach McKinstry.

Senior catcher Tyler Huntey drove in the fourth run of the game in the second inning with a single to left center field.

A fielder’s choice allowed Borglin to score making it a 5-0 Chippewa lead.

Jipping hit a two-RBI double to left field making it a 7-0 CMU lead after two innings.

It was Jipping again in the fourth inning with the big hit. He drove in two runs with a double to the left field wall extending the CMU lead, 9-0.

Jipping, who also celebrated his birthday Friday, said keeping things simple at the plate were key in his success.

“I felt good,” Jipping said. “It’s just about sticking to the approach that we’ve been taught and that we have everyday. It seems to be working very well for us as of late.”

In the fifth inning Fields put one over the fence in left field for his first home run of the season.

EMU scored its first run of the game with a home run in the seventh inning. A three-run home run in the eighth made it a 15-4 ballgame.

Borglin knocked in the 11th run of the game for CMU in the seventh inning with a single, which was followed by an RBI double for MacKenzie.

An error by EMU's second baseman in the seventh inning allowed two Chippewas to score, making it a 15-1 CMU lead.

EMU tacked on five more runs in the eighth and ninth inning.

CMU will play EMU tomorrow afternoon at 2:05 p.m. Junior pitcher Sean Renzi (0-1, 2.75 ERA ) will get his first start of the season.