Business in Medicine hosts networking event

The Business in Medicine student organization and Mid Michigan Advanced Health Education Center hosted a networking night Tuesday at Fireside Grille with 120 to 150 medical students and community members.

"Our goal was to get the medical students in front of people," founding member of Business in Medicine, Alexander Ghannam said. "The students in our class have a lot of energy and great ideas. If you give them projects, they'll run with it and take it farther than you could have envisioned."

The student organization, Business in Medicine, was started by Ghannam, Christopher Khoury and Nicholas Cozzi after noticing a void in the medical school. To fill the void the students placed an emphasis on positive business models for successful primary care practices.

"Because we're a new medical school these connections haven't been made for us," Ghannam said. "We haven't been around for 50 to 100 years so we don't know the community that well. We felt like we didn't know enough people in town so we invited them to this event."

The event provided an opportunity to unite the community and medical school. Khoury said it gave students a chance to introduce community members to a fairly new medical school. 

"As a new medical school either the community doesn't know about us or has mixed opinions about us," Khoury said. "So doing this and reaching out to them helps the medical school show that their students care about and want to help the community."

CMED students Kathleen Duemling and Elizabeth Wayne said the event allowed them to introduce their student organization Service for the Underserved to community members.

"Our main reason for on coming out tonight is to meet people who may have service opportunities for medical students in the area," Duemling said.