Letter to the Editor: The human race

opinion

I am sick and tired of people telling me how “white” I am. What does that mean? Are they referencing the color of my skin? If so, then they’re 100 percent accurate. After all, I’ve been on this planet for 24 years and I don’t think I’ve pulled some reverse Michael Jackson.

What does it mean for someone to label me as “white?” Is it the fact that I can’t dance? How proper I speak? While we’re on the topic, what does it mean to label someone as “black?” Can they dance? Do they speak in Ebonics? These are stereotypes we, as society, negatively put upon people. I’ve known many people, of many colors, who have defied the stereotypes of their particular race.

We, as a culture, need to put an end to this. We are obsessed with labeling people based on their skin color, even if it doesn’t make sense. “Obama speaks properly, so he’s a white black person,” or “Eminem is a good rapper, so he’s a black white person.” What does any of that even mean? We need to start choosing our words wisely or else racism will never die.

I may sound like a kill joy. I understand people tend to joke around about race, and nobody loves a good joke more than this guy. Jokes are jokes, period. But when you label an actual human being based on racial stereotypes, well then the joke's on you my friend.

Once again, I’m well aware I’m white. African-Americans are well aware they’re African-American, Asians are well aware they’re Asian, Hispanics are well aware they’re Hispanic, etc. What does that mean? Just because we’re different shades of color means we’re different? No, we’re all just humans in this world trying to get by. We may have been raised in different cultures, but that doesn't mean that we don’t have our own life, our own path, and our own goals. We’re all in this together because there’s only one race, the human race.

-Max Baker, Clarkston Senior