Dynamic year in CMU sports comes to a close

dom_a_7_5115

From the inaugural Bahamas Bowl to the WNBA, Central Michigan University athletes, coaches and fans have had an exciting and eventful year. The Chippewas celebrated glorious victories, heartbreaking losses and in some cases, made national headlines along the way. This presentation features some of the biggest storylines that came out of  CMU Athletics during the 2014-15 academic year.

March 3, 2015 – Beating the University of Toledo 85-77 at McGuirk Arena, the Central Michigan University men’s basketball team claimed its first Mid-American Conference title since 2010.

Feb. 8, 2015 – Former Detroit Lions special teams coordinator John Bonamego was hired to become the next Central Michigan University football head coach. Bonamego replaced Dan Enos, who resigned to take the offensive coordinator position at the University of Arkansas. Enos was 26-36 during his five years with the Chippewas.

Dec. 24, 2014 – Sophomore quarterback Cooper Rush threw seven touchdowns in The Popeyes Bahamas Bowl, including a Hail Mary pass as time expired to bring the Chippewas within one point. His seven touchdowns set a new NCAA bowl game record.

Dec. 16, 2014 – Marcy Weston announced her retirement. During her time at CMU, Weston has been an advocate for women’s sports and Title IX, the historic legislation guaranteeing equal access for women. A send-off was held for Weston on March 27.

Feb. 22, 2015 – During a win over Bowling Green State University on Senior Night, the Central Michigan University gymnastics team claimed the team’s most emotional victory of the season. CMU’s “Super Six” seniors helped the team post an overall score of over 196 for the third time that season.

Nov. 1, 2014 – For the first time since 2002, the Central Michigan University field hockey team claimed the Mid-American Conference regular season title. 

Feb. 7, 2015 – McGuirk Arena reached its full capacity of 5,350 for the first time since its inaugural game in 2010. Central Michigan University men’s basketball team beat Western Michigan University 70-65 to improve to 13-1 at home. It was the best home start to a season for CMU since 1986.

Dec. 24, 2014 – In what was called by many the most improbable comeback of the 2014 bowl season, the CMU football team completed a Hail Mary touchdown pass featuring multiple laterals and bringing Head Coach Dan Enos’ team within one point of tying the game. Enos elected to go for a two-point conversion, which failed. CMU lost to Western Kentucky 49-48. 

About Dominick Mastrangelo

Dominick Mastrangelo is the Editor in Chief of Central Michigan Life. Contact him at: editor@cm-life.com 

...

View Posts by Dominick Mastrangelo →