President Ross gets personal at Kappa Alpha Psi interview

Members of Kappa Alpha Psi held a question and answer event with President Ross on April 6th in the Park Library Auditorium. 

President George Ross didn’t bring public relation professionals to his open interview with Kappa Alpha Psi for “Kappa Week 2k15” Monday in the Park Library Auditorium.

Instead Ross told the audience of nearly 25 students he preferred it to be an opportunity to meet and talk with students on a personal level.

“I love an opportunity to meet with students,” Ross said after the interview. “I was in this auditorium three weeks ago meeting with (international) students. I meet with students in the residential halls. I meet with students in SGA. It’s important for me to be able to interact with students.”

Ross sat on stage and answered questions from Kappa Alpha Psi Vice President Laneer Turner.

“Really, I crossed something off my bucket list,” the Detroit junior said. “It was really nice to interview (President Ross). He’s a real down to earth guy. He’s someone that made it. He’s the president of a university where African Americans are a minority. To see him do that really shows me that anything is possible.”

Turner began the interview by asking Ross a few softball questions like "What is your favorite food?"

"Greens with hot sauce, usually Franks, beans and cornbread," Ross said.

Turner also asked who the president's favorite rapper was to which Ross answered that Wakka Flakka and Migos live on the same street at his family home in Georgia.

One member of the audience, Cassius Tae, free-styled a rap for Ross.

Turner asked serious questions like what Ross’s reaction was to the University of Oklahoma Sigma Alpha Epsilon video that depicted members conducting a racist chant.

Ross answered by saying he was disgusted by the ignorance—the lack of knowledge.

Chicago sophomore Deante Gardner, said Ross is an inspiration for him.

“He’s someone with a background like mine,” Gardner said. “I got this opportunity to come up here for school, but I know people back at the crib that don’t. He relates to my story. That just makes me feel like anything is possible.” 

About Andrew Surma

Central Michigan Life Sports Editor

Central Michigan Life Editor in Chief (Summer 2016)

Central ...

View Posts by Andrew Surma →