EDITORIAL: Safeguard our campus

Sexual misconduct policies reflect complacency with sexual assault

editorial

Graduate student Pradeep Gujjula was arraigned Friday after being arrested for one count of fourth-degree criminal sexual assault of a Central Michigan University staff member.

CMU Police Department officers determined Gujjula inappropriately touched the woman's chest April 15 after asking to take a selfie photograph with her. He may have committed similar acts before. Gujjula has been allowed to remain on campus until his probable cause hearing April 30, restricted to academic buildings he has classes in.

Under the university's sexual misconduct policy, CMU cannot completely remove students from campus who have not yet been found guilty of violating the student code of conduct. 

We understand CMU is operating under the restrictions of the policy — which is one of the most progressive in the state. This policy is a significant improvement from previous policies.

However, a person charged with sexual assault should not remain on campus.

We do not support allowing individuals accused of committing sexual assault crimes to remain among our students during the lengthy sexual misconduct investigation process. 

If a student is found guilty of sexual assault in a court of law, they are a proven threat to student safety. That student has no place at a public university, regardless of whether they are found guilty of violating the student code of conduct.

While Gujjula has not been found guilty, he is still an unwelcome presence, especially during the time it will take for the Office of Student Conduct to charge him.

The sexual misconduct policy allows the university to temporarily suspend a student accused of sexual misconduct during the investigation process. CMU deemed it unnecessary to do so in this case. The fact that individuals who commit sexual assault are allowed to remain so present within a college community speaks more to the overall mentality surrounding sexual assault. 

As a society, we are too complacent with incidents of assault or misconduct happening within our communities. 

The student body has raised its voice and made it clear that they do not approve the way sexual misconduct cases are handled, both at the university and at large. 

Students Advocating Gender Equality has scheduled a protest for the morning of April 30 in reaction to the university's decision to allow Gujjula to remain on campus. 

We support them in their goal to demonstrate that allowing perpetrators of sexual assault, especially in multiple cases, to remain on a college campus does not create a safe or welcome environment for students.

Students and community members have spoken out in protest against Gujjula's presence on campus during the investigation. Shortly after coverage of the incident was posted to social media, several readers commented on the story, expressing concern over Gujjula's continued use of academic buildings.

It's time for current federal policies on sexual assault to change. It's time for those in power to listen.