SGA elects Detroyer as Senate Leader for 2015-16 year

For the final Student Government Assocation meeting of the year, Senator Rebecca Detroyer was elected Senate Leader for the 2015-16 school year. Nominated alongside fellow senators Maximillian Sarvello, Joe Frey and Desirae Massey, Detroyer won the position with nine votes in her favor.

Detroyer, who has been in SGA for four years, said her main goal is to get senators more involved with the student body they represent.

“Senators are never really in touch with their demographic,” Detroyer said. “We don’t go out and we don’t communicate who we are to who we are supposed to be representing.”

To rectify this, Detroyer proposed senators table in the library once a month to make their faces known and let students know how to utilize SGA to the best of their abilities.

“I would really like for people to see what SGA is and get that presence on campus,” she said.

As Senate Leader, Detroyer will be responsible for holding no less than two senate meetings a month on school grounds, according to SGA bylaws. She will also hold at minimum six office hours a week in the SGA offices in the Bovee University Center and oversee all work done in the senate.

SGA President Chuck Mahone said as a Senate Leader, Detroyer will be responsible for presiding over “all 24 members” of the quorum.

“As Senate Leader, (Detroyer) will have to show what it means to be in SGA or show how to properly facilitate projects and be able to balance all of that along with (any extracurriculars) they are doing,” Mahone said. “One of the hardest things about being Senate Leader is truly working with a big group of diverse people.”

Senator Taylor Ackerman, who was an informal mentee of Detroyer, said it was her who helped guide Ackerman to become active in the Senate.

“Even though (Detroyer) wasn’t formally put as my mentor, she was the one who explained to me how to write legislation,” Ackerman said. “I know she would help (new) senators understand parliamentary procedures and how (writing) legislation works.”

SGA is be adjourned for the rest of the semester. Weekly meetings will restart Aug. 17 in the UC auditorium.

About Jordyn Hermani

Troy senior Jordyn Hermani, Editor-in-Chief of Central Michigan Life, is a double major ...

View Posts by Jordyn Hermani →