Football team ‘locked in’ as spring game approaches

springfootball_3
Warren senior Ben McCord chats with Head Coach John Bonamego after a drill during practice April 9 in the Indoor Activity Center.

With the 2015 Central Michigan University spring football game less than two weeks away, the Chippewas are settling into their respective roles on the team.

The annual Maroon vs. Gold Scrimmage is set for 1 p.m. on Saturday, April 25 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

First-year Head Coach John Bonamego said his confidence in the group inherited when he was hired in February has grown significantly since spring practice began last month.

“We’ve got a great group of guys who really want to win and win now,” Bonamego said. “By the time you get to the spring game, you pretty much have a good idea of what you want. Your preparation is done.”

Bonamego has split the team into small groups based on position. The units practice with and against one another before a full intersquad scrimmage rounds practice out.

“It’s easy to develop bad habits in practice. You don’t have officials out there,” Bonamego said. “We don’t catch everything. A big part of what we are trying to emphasize is not beating ourselves. We’re really trying not to focus on that.”

Sophomore running back Devon Spalding, who had an impressive freshman year last season behind starter Thomas Rawls, leads a group of runners that each bring something unique to CMU’s offense.

“Spring practice is unique. It’s almost like you have two seasons,” Spalding said. “You play your (own) defense and you all get really close. You beat each other up and then you are still bros again.”

With his teammates ability in mind, Spalding is putting his successful performance last season behind him.

“Last year was last year,” Spalding said. “Football is a prideful game. Us running backs are all tight. We all know our job. We love each other and respect each other like we are brothers.”

New defensive coordinator Greg Colby leads a group of defensive backs that is skilled, but lacks depth.

“Coach understands us,” said senior defensive back Brandon Greer. “We need to learn in the classroom and be able to adjust. Once that (happens), we should be able to pick it up into the fall.”

Bonamego said the additions to the Chippewas coaching staff have meshed well, but there is still some communication work that needs to be done.

“If (the players) weren’t buying in, then we wouldn’t be getting this energy out of them,” Bonamego said. “I don’t see any blank stares, I don’t see any second guesses. I see a group of young men that are locked in.”

About Dominick Mastrangelo

Dominick Mastrangelo is the Editor in Chief of Central Michigan Life. Contact him at: editor@cm-life.com 

...

View Posts by Dominick Mastrangelo →