The 2014-15 academic year in review

year_in_review

This has been an academic year full of challenges and achievements for many students at Central Michigan University, especially the 3,600 students who will walk the stage at commencement to collect their diplomas. This university has undoubtedly changed since classes began in August, and the community that brings it to life will never be the same again.

Before saying goodbye to Mount Pleasant, either for a well-earned summer break or in pursuit of a career in the professional world, take a look back on the biggest moments that affected CMU.

AUGUST

Aug. 20:  The 2014-15 academic year got off to spirited start when University President George Ross completed the ALS ice bucket challenge in front of more than 2,000 students at Kelly/Shorts Stadium. Student Government Association President Chuck Mahone had the honor of dumping five gallons of icy water on the president, who in turn challenged Mahone and all of the presidents of universities in the Mid-American Conference.

Aug. 29: Head Coach of the women's Golf Tom Beidleman was fired. He lied to university officials about graduating from Ferris State University, according to university officials, and was given a university car through the athletics department with a falsified driver's license. He was replaced by Cheryl Stacy in December.

SEPTEMBER

Sept. 14:  Running Back and University of Michigan transfer Thomas Rawls surrendered to police, and was charged with three felonies after an April 8 theft at the Soaring Eagle Casino and Resort. Rawls was sentenced to probation and community service and allowed to rejoin the football team after a two-week suspension.

Sept: 28: Rap artist Ludacris came to CMU in a concert that failed to attract much enthusiasm from students. Tickets started off at $25, and were reduced to buy-one-get-one half-off before being distributed for free. Program Board later said the organization was pleased with the turnout.

OCTOBER

Oct. 5: Michael Hartnett, an 18-year-old Dearborn Heights man visiting CMU for homecoming weekend, was found dead in the Fabiano Botanical Garden pond. Subsequent investigation found Hartnett had been drinking heavily throughout the day. No charges were filed in relation to his death.

Oct. 13: The Mount Pleasant City Commission presented the Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe with a proclamation recognizing Columbus Day as "Indigenous People's Day" to honor the 150-year anniversary of signing the treaty which established the tribe.

NOVEMBER

Nov. 11: Faculty members spoke out at an Academic Senate meeting after they were not notified of a short-lived on campus shooting threat Oct. 30. Administrators met before the Thanksgiving break to address the policy, which was later tested in incidents where an intoxicated student threatened gun violence in Pearce Hall and another carried a holstered weapon on campus.

DECEMBER

Dec. 13: CMU gave 1,729 degrees to undergraduate and graduate students.

FEBRUARY

Feb. 17: A suit filed by Mount Pleasant Attorney Todd Levitt against CMU sophomore Zachary Felton in June was dismissed. Levitt’s suit sought more than $25,000 in damages after Felton created a Todd Levitt parody account on Twitter.

Feb. 22: Head football coach Dan Enos, resigned to take a job as the offensive coordinator at the University of Arkansas. Enos, who was 26-36 during his five years in Mount Pleasant, was replaced by Detroit Lions Special Teams Coach John Bonamego in February.

Feb. 27: The Band Perry rocked McGuirk Arena, drawing a massive crowd to see the Grammy award-winning super group.

MARCH

March 17: St. Patrick's Day was one of the rowdiest at CMU in several years. The holiday ended with at least 10 on-campus cases of students treated for alcohol poisoning. Social media erupted with tales of students attending class or being on campus intoxicated. CMUPD was dispatched to 27 different incidents.

APRIL

April 16: Women's basketball star Crystal Bradford became the first CMU player to be drafted to the WNBA. She was drafted to the Los Angeles Sparks as the No. 7 overall pick.

April 15-29: The school year closed with a number of student-related crimes. Two students were arrested in a string of armed robberies in connection with drug deals, and a third was arrested for inappropriately touching a female staff member. Both cases are still in progress after Finals Week.

About Malachi Barrett

Editor-in-Chief Malachi Barrett is Battle Creek senior majoring in journalism with a minor in ...

View Posts by Malachi Barrett →