Student violates CMU weapons policy

police

University Communications reported an incident involving a 25-year-old student who wore a holstered gun while visiting the Veterans’ Resource Center in Warriner Hall Wednesday.

Central Michigan University Police Chief Bill Yeagley said although the incident happened around 3 p.m., police were not notified until 10 p.m. that evening and began their investigation Thursday. No verbal threats were made, but the student did place a bullet on an employee’s desk.

"Police checked into it (Thursday)," said Vice President of University Communications Sherry Knight. "They had some conversations with the individual and in the end determined he acted with poor judgment and violated university policy."

The matter has been referred to the Office of Student Conduct and to the Isabella County Prosecuting Attorney for review.

"Although we did not get notified until 10 p.m. Wednesday, we wanted to put the information out there because there was a gun on campus," Knight said. "We wanted to remind people you cannot do that even though you may have a concealed weapons permit or be authorized by a law enforcement agency in another jurisdiction."

Yeagley said the individual now understands he is not permitted to have a weapon on campus.

CMU’s weapons policy prohibits guns and other weapons on university property, even if the person has a concealed weapon permit or is legally authorized elsewhere to have a gun. Students with firearms used for hunting must register and store them at the CMU Police Department.

Students who bring guns or other weapons to campus can be suspended or dismissed. Faculty and staff are subject to discipline up to and including discharge, and visitors could be banned from campus and arrested for trespassing.

About Malachi Barrett

Editor-in-Chief Malachi Barrett is Battle Creek senior majoring in journalism with a minor in ...

View Posts by Malachi Barrett →