Broncos eliminate CMU softball from MAC Tournament

Junior outfielder Sara Hansen will miss the remainder of the 2017 season with a knee injury. 

Central Michigan University softball kicked off the Mid-American Conference Tournament with a shutout victory over rival Western Michigan University. The Broncos got the last laugh Saturday, knocking CMU out of the tournament in the loser's bracket final.

Offense was nonexistent on Saturday afternoon for No. 4 CMU as they fell to No. 5 WMU 7-0.

With the loss, CMU has been eliminated from the MAC Tournament while WMU advanced to the championship game. No. 2 Ball State University beat WMU later Saturday to clinch the MAC Tournament.

From the onset the game it looked as if it was going to be another pitcher’s duel, with both teams being held in check on offense.

After pitching on three consecutive days–including a pair of shutouts–sophomore Rachael Knapp was handed the ball in the pitcher’s circle once again Saturday.

Through four innings, Knapp looked to be in control of the Bronco bats while CMU and WMU battled to a scoreless tie.

In the bottom of the fifth, the Broncos broke through with a two-run home run to left field hit by WMU’s Ivy Schaaf.

Trailing 2-0, the wheels fell off for the Chippewas an inning later. WMU plated five more runs on seven hits, including two more home runs to put CMU out of reach for any potential comeback.

Overall, Knapp went 5 1/3 innings in her final appearance of the year. She surrendered four earned runs on six hits, while striking out five and walking zero.

Knapp pitched 27 1/3 of CMU's 28 innings in the MAC Tournament, allowing six earned runs and throwing for 425 pitches.

Freshman left fielder Lacy Tolfree was the lone Chippewa to get a base hit in the defeat. She went 3-for-4 in the leadoff spot while the rest of the team was a combined 0-for-20.

CMU finishes the 2015 season with a final overall record of 27-23, including a 14-10 record within the MAC.