CMED Saginaw Facility to be unveiled June 17

6646_a5_cmedsaginawrender_webf

Central Michigan University's College of Medicine Saginaw facility will be unveiled at 6 p.m. Wednesday at St. Mary's of Michigan hospital. 

The $23.1 million project will be a learning facility for third and fourth year students. The first medical class will be made up of 64 third-year students that will begin classes July 6.

"There will be about 100 to 300 people at the opening of the building on Wednesday," Jim Knight, Director of Marketing and Communications for the college. "There will be a tour of the building and simulations following the ribbon cutting ceremony."

The project built onto the St. Mary’s of Michigan hospital campus and is connected to the facility’s Health Education Center.

The building, a 46,000 square-foot facility, was completed a little ahead of time according to Knight, who said finishing the building early makes the move over much easier. Research teams have already began working in the facility. 

"There are already several teams conducting research and teaching residents at the facility," Knight said. "This facility will be a part of (medical) students' clinical location. Most of the classes they'll be taking will be in Saginaw."

In May, the college signed a reaffirmation agreement with St. John Hospital in Detroit. 

"We’ll have 12 students from the third and fourth year curriculum in Detroit area," said Dean George Kikano. "This is not taking away from our commitment in Saginaw, but complementing it."

Kikano has been working part-time at the college, managing the relationship with St. Mary's of Michigan and Convent Healthcare.

"I am happy to report the relationship with our two hospital partners in Saginaw, St. Mary’s and Covenant, which has been strained for the last two years really, is going well," Kikano said. "We have two new CEO’s that have been nothing but a pleasure to work with. At our report meeting last week, both CEO’s renewed their commitment for the partnership for the 2015-16 year."

The contract between the hospitals and the college ended in September 2014, Kikano said. 

"They had re-sent their contract at a previous meeting," Kikano said. "This was a major effort."

The opening of CMED Saginaw is an invitation-only event.