‘One Slight Hitch’ opens as final show for summer repertory theater

“One Slight Hitch” opened at Central Michigan University’s Bush Theatre tonight for an audience around 300. The final show for the summer repertory theater season entertained with a comedy about family wedding drama.

Written by Lewis Black, “One Slight Hitch” follows chaos happening on the wedding day of the character Courtney, and how her family attempts to prepare to make the day special for her.

Courtney’s mother, Delia, is doing her best to make the day perfect. Everything is being prepared and is running smoothly until Courtney’s ex-boyfriend, Ryan, shows up at her doorstep, unaware that Courtney is about to be married.

Steve Berglund, Director of University Theater, directed the comedy. Berglund was pleased with the overall opening weekend for not just “One Slight Hitch,” but the other shows being presented as a part of the summer theater season.

“I thought it went great…(the show) will just get better as we go,” Berglund said. “It’s a good season, the shows have all played well this summer. Its nice for them to now take a show they are comfortable with, and put it in a different space, see what it is like in a different theater…the audiences might be a little different, but that is the joy of exploring these other places.”

Christian Sanchez, 18, of Grand Rapids and a musical theater major, played the character Courtney. Sanchez was very happy with the cast’s opening performance, noting that it was nice to have two nights of watching the other shows being performed for an audience before taking to the stage herself.

“It couldn’t of gone better,” Sanchez said. “Everyone had really great energy.”

Sanchez said she noticed many times throughout the show when she had not thought her character’s lines were funny, but the audience had found them humorous.

“Our director told us to pause for laughter,” Sanchez said. “Make sure you don’t say your lines really fast so they miss things.”

“One Slight Hitch” was one night only for the summer season, but will be returning to CMU to open the regular season at 7:30 p.m. on Sept. 9 through 12 and 2:00 p.m. on Sept. 13 at Bush Theatre.

It will also show at 8 p.m. on July 10 at the Beaver Island Community Center, and at 7:30 p.m. on July 17 at Howmet Playhouse in Whitehall.