City Commission to discuss road projects, recycling program at July 13 meeting

metro

The Mount Pleasant City Commission will discuss funding for an overlay project on Bellows Street at their upcoming July 13 meeting.

The city engineering department submitted a Michigan Department of Environmental Quality grant application of ultra-thin overlays on some city streets, including Bellows Street to Crapo Street to Isabella Road. This segment of road was chosen because it is the next major street thin overlay in the city's Capital Improvement Plan. 

The project will also include the restriping of Bellows Street to include bike lanes on both sides of the street. 

City staff will also recommend the City Commission improve reallocations and additional allocation of economic development funds so they can be available to serve other developments in the city. The funds would assist with the construction of a new east/west road between East Campus Drive and Mission Street. Central Michigan University's Master Plan shows more buildings being constructed in that area over the next few years.

During a June 8 work session, the commission discussed amendments to the solid waste ordinance which would assist with solid waste and recycling. City staff is recommending the commission set a public hearing on the issue.

The amendments would introduce a one-year pilot program for expanded curbside recycling pickup to require curbside pickup of rooming, multi-family and condos in three potential areas. The three pilot areas are between Bellows and High streets, between High Street and downtown and north of downtown. 

Amendments would require trash containers to be removed from curbs by a certain time. There are also some options of choosing bag and tag programs as a trash pickup method. In addition, the penalties section would change to make penalties for all violations consistent. 

City staff also recommends the commission set another public hearing to discuss the regulation of going out of business sales. The commission learned during the enforcement process of The Comfort Center's sale that they do not have the authority to enforce state law on the matter. The City Attorney has drafted an ordinance that would allow the city to enforce state law in the future. 

The meeting will take place at 7 p.m. on July 13 in City Hall. The meeting will also be broadcast live. 

About Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith is a super-senior at Central Michigan University. She comes from metro Detroit ...

View Posts by Sydney Smith →