Judge dismisses Greer's felony charges

img_0321_1

Brandon Greer, defensive back for the Chippewas, is housed at the Isabella County Jail.

Chief Judge Paul Chamberlain dismissed two felony charges against former Central Michigan University defensive back Brandon Greer.

Greer, 21, remains in the Isabella County Jail on eight counts of disturbing the peace. Charges of attempted kidnapping and assault with intent to commit criminal sexual conduct were dismissed. According to a written opinion filed July 31 by Chamberlain, there was no evidence presented at a hearing July 30 to indicate there was a weapon or attempted confinement of the woman who called police after Greer approached her. 

Chamberlain said there was not probable cause that Greer committed attempted unlawful imprisonment. 

Greer has been in jail for 21 days. During a July 31 bond hearing, his legal team decreased his originally $750,000 bond to $250,000. Chamberlain cited a threat to the community and the ability of the prosecution to bring up felony charges with additional evidence as to why Greer's bond was lowered to the new amount. 

Following his July 9 arrest, Greer was dismissed from the CMU football team. He was arrested after a Mount Pleasant woman in her 50s accused Greer of trying to kidnap a woman walking her dog near Crapo and Preston streets. In the documents, Chamberlain said without probable cause that there was an attempted kidnapping, there is also no probable cause that Greer was going to commit criminal sexual conduct. 

"The prosecutor presented no evidence that defendant attempted to restrain (the alleged victim) to facilitate the commission of any other felony," wrote Chamberlain. 

At Greer's July 30 preliminary hearing, his accuser and Mount Pleasant Police Officer Michael Covarrubias testified.

During his testimony, Covarrubias said Greer told him his coach told him he needed to be a leader, and encouraged him to be more outspoken. Greer stated that this inspired him to start conversations with strangers and introduced himself, particularly if the stranger had a dog. Greer admitted to having several conversations with other people the night before his arrest, including three women and one man. He also admitted to being on Crapo Street, speaking to a woman with a dog and that he moved to the passenger side of his car while speaking to her. 

Chamberlain said the prosecution presented evidence that Greer assaulted the woman, grabbing her wrist and later her hand, and not letting go. The judge said there was not enough evidence to support finding that Greer intended to commit criminal sexual conduct. 

About Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith is a super-senior at Central Michigan University. She comes from metro Detroit ...

View Posts by Sydney Smith →