Journalism alumni to be inducted into Hall of Fame

screen_shot_20150721_at_44859_pm

Starting from left, going clockwise: Tom Henry, Sherry Knight, Peter Luke and Ken Stevens will be honored in the journalism Hall of Fame. 

Four Central Michigan University alumni will be inducted into the journalism Hall of Fame on Nov. 14.

The inductees include Tom Henry, author and environmental reporter at The Blade in Toledo, Sherry Knight, CMU's associate vice president of university communications, Peter Luke, former Booth Newspapers political reporter and columnist, and Ken Stevens, a multimedia specialist at MLive Muskegon Chronicle, who passed away unexpectedly last fall.

Henry, class of 1981, created the environmental beat at the Toledo Blade, writing about topics like harmful algal blooms, nuclear power and issues facing the Great Lakes. He graduated with a degree in journalism and political science. 

Knight is a former Central Michigan Life editor-in-chief, graduating in 1986. Knight reported on the environment and Naval Academy for the Annapolis Capital, and covered prisons and a local National Guard unit in Saudi Arabia for the Jackson Citizen Patriot. She worked in communications for Ameritech, and founded an executive communications firm in 1996. At CMU, she directs marketing, web and digital communications, branding, public relations and internal communications. 

After graduating in 1983, Luke worked for two decades in the Lansing Bureau of Booth Newspapers and MLive. He has worked heavily at the State Capitol.

Six months before his death in 2014, Stevens was honored as the journalism department's Alumnus of the Year for mentoring student photographers and news interns. Stevens is a CM Life and Muskegon Chronicle alumnus, working in Muskegon for 28 years. 

Also being honored at the Hall of Fame awards is the CM Life staff of 1985-86. The event begins at 5 p.m. in the Powers Hall ballroom. 

About Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith is a super-senior at Central Michigan University. She comes from metro Detroit ...

View Posts by Sydney Smith →