Biosciences building to be complete in early 2016

biosciences

A worker works at the top of the Biosciences Building on Sept. 18.

The largest capital project in Central Michigan University's history is more than halfway to completion. 

At four stories and 169,000 square feet, the $95 million Biosciences Building will be complete in less than a year, said Vice President of Facilities Management Steve Lawrence. 

Lawrence provided an update on the university's biggest capital projects at the Sept. 17 Board of Trustees meeting. He said dry wall has gone up in the Biosciences Building, which will house research, lab rooms and teaching facilities for biotechnology and medical classes. 

Most of the windows have been installed, and the building will be sealed up by November with a heating system installed to protect progress through the winter, when crews will still be working on the building. 

Lawrence also provided an update on the new University Recreation field, which will be used for the CMU soccer and lacrosse teams, as well as the club versions of these sports. Throughout the project, there were 17 rain-delay days, but the field is set for a grand opening on Sept. 20. 

"It's a beautiful field," Lawrence said. "There are a lot of stripes on it to meet every team's needs, and lights for nighttime activity." 

The field also has a hammer and discus throwing.

Provost Michael Gealt said he met a freshman lacrosse player during Leadership Safari that was excited to be in the first team that will play on the field. 

"She is excited to be part of the founding (across) team that will use the field," he said. "Athletics is recruiting people using the new project." 

In May of 2016, an on-campus hotel will be complete. The Courtyard Marriott is being built by Lodgco, a company which builds hotels. The university is leasing the land to the company over a 30-year span, bringing in $5.25 million in revenue. The hotel is east of Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

All six floors of the hotel have gone up, as well as a new street connecting East Campus Drive to Mission Street. 

"It won't be open for graduation," Lawrence said. "They have to hire their staff and train all of them, and I don't know how long that will take." 

Lawrence said the hotel has a plum color-scheme, which was picked because it closely matches maroon. University Communications is assisting Lodgco to choose CMU photos that will decorate the inside of the building. 

About Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith is a super-senior at Central Michigan University. She comes from metro Detroit ...

View Posts by Sydney Smith →