English department receives update, adds new courses

Diversified English Major Brings New Classes

2015_925_englishdepartment_cm01_copy
Calli Morris | Staff Photographer Professor Tracy Collins leads a debate on whether is considered a sport in Anspach 151 on Sept. 25, 2015.

Bringing the English department into the 21st century, a course on Shakespeare is no longer required for new English majors at Central Michigan University. 

The English Department is moving away from the pre-existing degree track, onto one that will encourage "critical and creative thinking," said Associate English Department Chair Nate Smith.

This program is new on the 2015-2016 bulletin. Students who have signed the previous english major will still graduate on the track specified by their bulletin, but new majors will follow the new program. Smith predicts the previous curriculum could be phased out as early as 2019.

The new major also incorporates a new category titled IV.b. Comparative Cultural and Literary Traditions.

"We wanted to introduce our students to a broader, more diverse set of literary texts, (like) women writers, (and) Native American, African American (and) non-western world literature material," Smith said.

English majors will be required to take one course in the category to fulfill the new requirement.

"Many of our courses focus on skills that are in demand in the 20th century workplace, such as critical thinking, analytical skills, communication skills and not only writing but oral communication as well," Smith said. "We've really changed the way the major works. We've included more writing. We have changed the structure so students are taking fewer 200-level courses and more 300 and 400-level courses."

Prior to the new major, Smith said, more than half of the course requirements were at or below the 200-level and there will be more "scaffolded" courses that build on previous courses and the skills students have acquired therein.

With a new major comes a new series of classes. 

Because the writing intensive credit is a requirement in all majors, a new series of ENG 140 classes are making their way through the curricular process. The first two to be approved were ENG 141: Comics, Graphic Novels and Illustrated Texts and 142: Literary Interpretation of Sport. These two courses are currently in session and are being taught by English faculty Joseph Michael Sommers and Tracy Collins.

Sommers' and Collins' classes were full before fall registration ended, and both have noticed students engaged by the subject matter.

"Students have seen points of entry into comics like the Marvel movies, but haven't seen the comics themselves," Sommers said. 

Two additional courses have been approved for the next academic year; ENG 143: Laughing Matters and ENG 144: Monsters and Their Meanings.

These new courses offer students the chance to connect literary analysis with subjects they are already familiar with, Smith said. 

This process of creating new courses began in Fall 2013 when a plan to replace the English major had already begun. In Fall 2014, the department reached out to faculty for course ideas to provide both writing-intensive class experience and grab the attention of the students.

Now, the English department is in the process of moving half a dozen more courses in the 140 designation through the curricular process.

"We hope to engage student interest," said Dean of College of Humanities and Social and Behavioral Sciences Pam Gates. (The English department) teaches more than just Chaucer."

Sommers' ENG 141 class delves into interpretation of comic lore, using works such as "El Deafo" to study literature in the classroom.

ENG 141 was created so any instructor with experience in the medium could teach it, Sommers said. Due to the wide variety of comic lore, the course could take on a unique appearance each time it is offered.

Collins similarly saw sports as a subject that could both appeal to students and encourage critical thinking.

"Everybody watches sports at one time or another," Collins said. "At Purdue, they've had sports literature classes for 20 years."

Both faculty have been given positive feedback by their students thus far.

"Not only does it have a lot of true scholastic application, (but) young people really like it," Sommers said. "It's that beautiful thing where there's something to be learned and there's a group of learners excited to learn about it. And it's everywhere."

Collins' class caught the attention of Grand Rapids freshman Ashley Stanitzek.

"It jumped out to me because I am an athlete," Stanitzek said. "I enjoy sports and would like to write about that."

Stanitzek, who plays Unified Intramural Soccer, said the class would appeal to committed athletes and fans alike.

"For people who enjoy sports and need a Writing Intensive credit, I'd recommend it," she said. "Everyone is really engaged, having different opinions but in a good way."

Big Rapids freshman Timothy Vanhalla said Sommers' style of teaching was "vibrant" and the discussions are engaging.

"(Sommers) definitely knows his stuff. He came in one day with a legit Iron Man helmet," Vanhalla said. "He knows the story lines and the authors, his peers, and he has a really open classroom discussion."