Saudi Arabian students share their culture for national holiday

saudi_bs_01
Ben Solis | Editor-in-Chief Fahad Al-Ghamdi, a 23-year-old political science major (left), serves a traditional lamb dish to Ahmed Al-Hydaibi, 23, business administration (right), and Hussain Mohammed, 22, an ESL major (far right) on Friday at the Saudi National Day event in the Bovee University Center.

Central Michigan University students from Saudi Arabia shared traditional customs, poetry, dances and food native to their homeland during the Saudi National Day event on campus.

“Today is our national day,” said Sarah Almahasna, who was managing the clothing table. “It is a good day to express our culture and show what we have.”

Saudi National Day is usually celebrated on Sept. 23, but at CMU festivities were moved to Friday Sept. 25 at 4:30 p.m. in Finch Fieldhouse in attempt to increase attendance by holding it at the end of the week.

Saudi Arabian students managed informational tables for each region of the country, complete with authentic food samples, henna tattoos and other examples of Saudi culture.

Almahasna said some people asked her questions that could be considered offensive, but she just answered in the nicest way possible, and was happy to inform people about her culture.

Traditional Saudi Arabian garb including headdresses, abayas, thobes and scarves were available for attendees to try on and get their picture taken in.

“This is the blackest eyeliner ever,” Almahasna said, holding up a small ornate golden makeup container. “Now it’s not so common (to wear), but in the past the ladies always used to wear eyeliner like this.”

Aeshah Alrubayyi, a Saudi Arabian student who has been studying at CMU for two years, said the event is important to celebrate on campus.

“The media (shows) different pictures for different people because they are far away, there are misunderstandings for specific things.”

Alrubayyi was handing out dates and Arabic coffee at the entrance of the event, and said the food was a common staple in all Saudi Arabian houses. She said each region of her country is known for a different kind of coffee.

"I love it because I met a lot of Americans who didn’t even know where Saudi Arabia was, which surprised me because (our countries) have a really strong relationship. "(Working this event) is kind of fun because people are so interested."

Sumaih Altalhi was managing the table dedicated to the Western region of Saudi Arabia, and first came to America in 2012 even though it is her first year as a CMU student.

"I came to Oklahoma first, and was surprised people knew everything, they cooked Saudi Arabian food for me and some of them learned Arabic. Then I came here and I didn’t find the Saudi community that was involved with Americans. So we're trying with this event to get connected."

She said she lives with two American roommates who weren't able to come, so she made a special presentation just for them.

"I'm kind of different than most Saudi Arabian students because most of my friends are Americans. But for most, they don’t have any American friends, so this is their chance, Altalhi said."

There were lots of students in attendance from America and Saudi Arabia.

"They want to (meet Americans), they have the desire, but when you look at it it doesn’t seem like anyone out there is making any efforts. Both of the sides say the same thing."

About Kate Carlson

Editor-in-Chief Kate Carlson is a senior from Lapeer who is majoring in journalism with a minor in ...

View Posts by Kate Carlson →