COLUMN: Addressing skepticism about faith and Greek Life

workbook2

Going Greek is one of the few things students can do to become more involved on campus.

However, many students are either hesitant or skeptical on whether they should or not. One reason why some students are reluctant to go Greek is because of their faith.

Some of the things fraternities and sororities do might go against things they believe in. The values their religion have set for them might coincide with the values of their future brothers and sisters.

There are a lot of negative aspects associated with going Greek, which stem mainly from television shows, movies, and the internet. One major factor is hazing.

Few even view Greek Life as being a cult involving sacred symbols, rites of passage and places where everyone follows the same ideals. Being in a co-ed fraternity, I don't view the symbols of my fraternity the same way I do the Christian cross or any other religious symbol.

There are certain ideals that are set when you are a member of Greek Life, but they are accompanied by ones I set for myself. Before coming to college, I was skeptical about joining a sorority because of what I have seen and heard from others. I understand now that what I heard may have been a bit distorted or even exaggerated.

I talked to my family about joining a Greek organization, and they told me be careful and to make sure it didn’t change me. After that, I became even more reluctant because I wondered if joining a sorority meant I was going to lose who I was and everything I believed in.

I soon realized that was not the case. Throughout my recruitment process I still attended bible study and went to church on a regular basis.

I know quite a few people who are part of a fraternity or sorority and are religious. There aren’t any rules against religion in Greek Life. There are also some Christian fraternities out there that are less social and more faith based.

Some actions done by students in Greek Life can be deemed immoral, such as drinking, smoking and partying. If a student was brought up in a more strict and religious household, those things may make them uncomfortable.

However, not everyone that is a part of the organization will be engaging in these antics because not every one person in that fraternity or sorority are the same. If drinking, smoking and partying is not a student’s cup of tea and a Greek organization on campus has a bad reputation for engaging in immoral acts, one might want to steer clear.

The impact a Greek organization has on someone is completely up to them and the actions they choose to partake in. No one can make you do anything that you aren't comfortable with doing. No matter what "oath" has been made, one should always be able to turn away from certain situations that go against their beliefs.