Sink or swim: Students race Rose Ponds in cardboard boats

12094979_10150576440744975_1721817830817948584_o

Going to the beach for a swim on a hot day is one way to enjoy water. 

Going out for a race across the Rose Ponds on a cold day with nothing but cardboard beneath you is another.

Students raced against the clock on Saturday, striving to beat 2010's open-race record of four minutes and 58 seconds. Some made it to the finish, paddling across both ponds in creations made of cardboard, duct tape and liquid nails.

Others never crossed the first pond, capsizing into frigid waters as the crowd groaned.

Adam Roehm, a freshman from Saline, had his boat "Twelve Narwhals" collapsed beneath him and two other partners as they were about a quarter of the way through the first pond. 

"Going into the water I was a little nervous at first, but once got in there it was either sink or don't sink--so we sunk," Roehm said. "The water's about 35 degrees. It's cold at first but once you're in it's not bad." 

About 250 students making up 49 teams participated in the 18th annual event. It is held every Homecoming right before the football game. Most of those students were required to build and race their creations as a part of their course work for Intro to Engineering.

The last of the seven slots were open for any registered groups not required to participate in the engineering course.

Brian Dejong, Associate Professor for Mechanical Engineering, teaches one of the six courses. He said the winners gain "bragging rights," but the event has other advantages, too.

"It's a fun event they can do in front of a crowd, and it also takes some design work for the project and report, not just trial and error," Dejong said. "Participants have been working on (their boats) for about two weeks."

South Lyon sophomore Steven Barber watched as three members of his team "The Rowing Chips" successfully crossed both ponds in the second heat. Their time was nine minutes and six seconds.

"It was very intense. We were just hoping our boat wouldn't sink and beat the record," he said. "We were required to participate but it was a lot of fun. I didn't expect this many people to be here."

Lyon said the secret to staying afloat is in the arm strength.

"You've got to keep rowing," he said. "We built three layers, a boat inside of a boat inside of a boat, and it worked out pretty well. Not very many people sank, which was surprising."

Stephanie Buckholz, a freshman from East Jordan, was on the sidelines supporting three friends. She said watching the event looked fun and she would consider joining in.

"It's cold, but very funny," Buckholz said. "It's very cool to see all of the different boats and see people working together to get across the pond."