West Campus Village apartment building will get rebuilt

Construction workers continue removing the 1201 West Campus Village apartment building on Oct. 16.

A West Campus Village apartment building containing six rooms was demolished yesterday, Oct. 15.

United Apartments has removed the old building and is rebuilding it with new amenities and a more modern floor plan, said United Apartments Operations Manager Rick McGuirk.

“We are replacing it as part of a replacement plan to make it consistent with amenities today’s students expect to see,” McGuirk said.

Students planned to live in one of the six rooms in the now-demolished apartment building were placed in other units available throughout campus.

The building that was torn down in West Campus Village was put into service in 1982, and hadn’t been updated since then. Surrounding buildings in West Campus Village had been updated in 2005.

“(Apartment) 1201 still had lifespan left in the building,” McGuirk said.

The operations manager said Phase one of the replacement plan was renovating every other building in West Campus Village, and now it is time to update building 1201.

Amenities McGuirk said would be updated in the new building were more bathrooms, larger kitchen and living areas, larger closets and modern floor plans to match other living units in the area.

“1201 will be the only renovation project this year,” he said.

The operations manager provided no estimation on the cost of the project.

About Kate Carlson

Editor-in-Chief Kate Carlson is a senior from Lapeer who is majoring in journalism with a minor in ...

View Posts by Kate Carlson →