Turner’s Turn: Women's basketball looks to Detroit native to lead young team

Greg Cornwell | Staff Photographer

Da’Jourie Turner didn’t expect to carry the load last season as she was playing behind star guards Jessica Green and Crystal Bradford.

But when Green and Bradford went down with injuries, the then-junior was handed the keys to Central Michigan’s women’s basketball team almost instantly.

It wasn’t the way she envisioned her moment would come, but the experience of being the go-to player has prepared Turner for her senior season with the Maroon and Gold.

“I feel pretty confident,” Turner said. “I had a little heads (up) when Jessica Green went down, so it’s nothing new.”

The 5-foot-6 guard showcased her ability to lead by helping the Chippewas make it to the Mid-American Conference Tournament and upset Northern Illinois in the first round.

She posted career-highs in points, rebounds, assists and steals on her way to earning an All-MAC honorable mention nomination.

To get ready for the role of one of the Chippewas’ top players this season, Turner essentially lived in the gym during the offseason.

“I stayed up here (in Mount Pleasant) all summer to better myself,” Turner said.

The senior hopes to be playing basketball next season, whether it’s in the United States or overseas. One certainty for Turner is her role for CMU in her final year as a Chippewa.

The spotlight will be even brighter on Turner as she is one of only two seniors on the team, and the only player on the roster to have started in 15-plus games during the 2014-15 campaign.

With five seniors gone and five new faces coming in, Turner said confidence will play a large role in the Chippewas’ success.

“The biggest thing is being confident as a team,” Turner said. “We lost a lot and it kind of brought us down a little bit because it was a lot of key players. It’s not a one-man show and I feel like we have a better chance at that this year.”

Turner enters the season as the Chippewas’ number one offensive threat, as CMU graduated three 1,000-point scorers from last season’s squad. CMU enters this season with only five upperclassmen.

“Her skills have gotten great,” said fellow senior guard Chelsea Lynn. “She’s picked up her speed. She’s become the point guard that you have to make sure somebody is checking. She’s been working to make sure she has everything to her game.”

Turner’s ability to get to the rim when she pleases is her calling card, but she knows in order to take her game to the next level, she’ll have to add other dimensions to her game.

“I know I’m going to have to be more of a threat outside the perimeter because everybody knows my go-to is to get to the basket,” Turner said.

Head Coach Sue Guevara said she has seen Turner taking more of a mentorship role with the younger players and getting them involved in practice and scrimmages.

“She’s much more vocal in helping the other kids,” Guevara said. “She’s really looking to pass the basketball earlier. She’s seeing other people, so she’s creating (chances) for other people instead of forcing shots, and that’s an improvement.”

Unlike the past few seasons, the Chippewas aren’t expected to make much noise, as they were selected to finish fifth in the MAC West Division Preseason Poll.

“(My expectation) is just to shock everybody,” Turner said. “Everybody is looking to see how we’re going to be, losing Crystal. I feel like we’re really, really good.”

Turner knows those high-profile players from a year ago aren’t walking through the door this season, and she said she is OK with being the one with the bullseye on her back.

“No pressure at all,” Turner said. “I look forward to having people look up to me and leading them and to show them what the collegiate level is about.”