Three stars from the Quick Lane Bowl

DETROIT — The Chippewas had a chance to tie the game late in the fourth quarter, but a costly turnover by quarterback Cooper Rush cost CMU during the team's 21-14 loss to Minnesota on Monday during the 2015 Quick Lane Bowl in Detroit. 

Three stars from the game 

1. Minnesota quarterback Mitch Leidner

There was some buzz before the game about Leidner potentially sharing reps with backup passer Denny Croft, but U-M's starter made benching hard to justify. 

Leidner was efficient throwing the ball and ran for the game-winning touchdown with less than five minutes remaining as he picked up Quick Lane Bowl Most Valuable Player honor. 

The junior finished the game 24-of-34 passing for 223 yards and two all-purpose touchdowns. 

2. CMU running back Romello Ross

The future appears bright for CMU's run game with Ross carrying the rock. Ross ran for 100 yards, including the go-ahead 13-yard power surge into the end zone early in the fourth quarter. 

He also had 28 yards receiving on four catches.

The true freshman decided to forgo his planned redshirt status and ran for three scores and caught for one more during CMU's regular-season finale win over Eastern Michigan. 

3. Minnesota cornerback Briean Boddy-Calhoun

This was the player that put the game on ice. 

When CMU quarterback Cooper Rush forced an ill-advised pass into U-M's secondary, Boddy-Calhoun made an exceptional play to give his team the ball back with less than three minutes remaining in the game.   

He is a member of Minnesota's veteran secondary — which Rush said was the best he faced all season — and finished the game with five tackles and two pass breakups. 

About Dominick Mastrangelo

Dominick Mastrangelo is the Editor in Chief of Central Michigan Life. Contact him at: editor@cm-life.com 

...

View Posts by Dominick Mastrangelo →