Student groups collaborate to aid Flint

2016_122_flintprotest_ar032
Abbie Robinson | Staff Photographer Detroit junior Nate Clark holds a water bottle and a sign during a protest against Rick Snyder near the Fabiano Botanical Gardens on Jan. 22.

The Student Government Association, Phi Delta Theta fraternity and Phi Alpha Delta pre-law fraternity hope to provide sustainable relief for people in Flint.

The three organizations are hosting an event to raise money for the Flint Water Fund through United Way of Genesee County, though the details of the event have not been finalized.

"I think a lot of people talk about things that are in the news but don't actually do something, so if we put forth the effort and show there's easy, fun ways to raise money for a great cause, then it could start the chain and other people can follow the example," said Marisa Vinsky, president of Phi Alpha Delta.

SGA President Chuck Mahone said Vinsky reached out to him wanting to collaborate. Then, he heard about the work Phi Delta Theta was already doing to help Flint and reached out to them.

Phi Delta Theta is working with Sam's Club and will distribute water at the store's Flint location, freshman and Phi Delta Pheta secretary Galen Miller.

"Our goal is to truly create some tangible relief for the people of the Flint, whether that's through water filters, (or) whether that's through water, and Phi Delta Theta has already done a great job of doing that in their efforts alone," said Mahone, a Detroit senior. "We really want to assist in their efforts and grow what they've been able to accomplish."

Vinsky said she thinks having three organizations involved will help spread the word, and once the event is finalized, each organization will work to get the information to students.

"All students really have to do (at the event) is participate," Mahone said. "It will be something that is fun and engaging as well, so it's not just 'come and give us money' — it's 'come and give us money and we'll give you an experience.' The reality is it's going to help the individuals who need it."

For more details on the event, students can keep up with any of the organizations' social media accounts and reach out to any of the organizations with questions. Water collected will be handed off to an organization in Flint that distributes to residents regardless of immigration status, access to personal identification materials, or otherwise.

Two other water drives are taking place in the Office of LGBTQ Services and the Mary Ellen Brandel Volunteer Center in the lower level of the Bovee University Center. Donations of water can be dropped off at both offices during business hours.

To arrange alternate drop-off/pickup for donations through the Office LGBTQ Services, Mount Pleasant senior Noelle Goffnett can be contacted at goffn1ne@cmich.edu.

Any questions about the volunteer center drive can be directed to (989)-774-7685.

As these groups raise awareness on campus, Royal Oak senior Drake Smarch brought attention to the Flint water crisis at a Bernie Sanders rally in Iowa. After Sanders' speech, people had the chance to ask questions. Smarch took this as an opportunity to ask Sanders how he would handle the Flint water crisis and prevent similar crises from happening in the future.

"I wanted to keep it in the news," Smarch said. "I wanted people to keep talking about it because that will continue change and get more people helping."

Afterwards, Smarch said, people came up to him expressing support for Flint and asking how they could help.

Smarch said the way political candidates react to these situations is important. 

"I think it's a really good example of problems that face this country," he said. "It needs to be talked about. It needs to be fixed."