Letter: Mayor says student behavior problems still an issue

mayor_copy

Mount Pleasant Mayor Kathleen Ling poses for a picture on Jan. 15 at the Bovee University Center.

In last Monday’s editorial, Central Michigan Life congratulated me on my election as Mayor of Mount Pleasant and asked me to recognize that students are a part of the community and want to be part of the mission of leading the city forward.

I want to thank the editorial board for the good wishes and make it clear that I couldn’t agree more that students are very much a part of the community and have a significant role to play in making Mount Pleasant a desirable place to live, work and attend school.

Central Michigan University (established in 1892) and Mount Pleasant (incorporated in 1889) have been intricately tied together from the beginning. The relationship between the two entities has benefited everyone.

In your editorial you indicate that students are eager to experience all Mount Pleasant has to offer and want to feel welcomed. On behalf of the city officials and the vast majority of the residents, I want to assure students that they are warmly welcomed and considered a valuable part of the community.

Not only are students an important part of the economy of the city, but the volunteer efforts provided each year by students are especially appreciated. Student volunteers play a large role in recreational services, in charitable organizations and in the schools.

Whether students live on or off campus, they are residents for at least part of the year and have the same rights as other citizens including the use of public services, the right to express their views and even run for office.

However, just like other citizens, students who live here as residents also have the responsibility to be respectful neighbors and to know and follow the laws of the state and the city. While students are welcome, unlawful and destructive behaviors are definitely not welcome.

Some of those unwelcome behaviors have been reported in news articles over the last couple of years: multiple furniture and dumpster fires, large volumes of trash after party weekends, destruction of the property of those living nearby and public urination in neighboring yards. In addition, some out of control parties and binge drinking have led to unruly crowds, beer bottles and rocks being thrown at police and bystanders and large numbers of students being taken to the emergency room, some with alcohol poisoning.

While those involved in these actions represent a small percentage of the total student population, their actions endanger the welfare and safety of all residents, student and non-student. Tragically, sometimes these activities can even result in loss of lives.

These are not old problems. They are current problems, and they help to explain why the city has stepped up its enforcement efforts. It is the reason we have hired a code enforcement officer to work with residents north of campus to make sure everyone knows what the expectations are.

It is the reason we appreciate the work of the SGA liaison, Ian Elliott, who is doing a good job bringing student concerns to our attention.

It is also the reason that we have recently expanded the membership of the CMU/Student/City Liaison Committee and hope  it can play a role in addressing some of the problems faced by student and non-student residents.

Finding the best way to work together to make sure Mount Pleasant remains a desirable community will only be accomplished if all parts of the community work together to find the most successful strategies.

My hope is that together we can make Mount Pleasant the kind of community that not only makes students feel welcome while they attend college, but that they will come to consider Mount Pleasant home. Ideally, some will stay here and continue to contribute to our community for many years.

Kathy Ling

Mayor, City of Mount Pleasant