Martin Luther King Day events let students give back

Students carrying handmade signs march downtown on Monday, January 19, 2015, for CMU’s MLK March and Vigil, where they plan to remember the legacy of Martin Luther King, Jr. by getting involved instead of relaxing on their day off from class.

For students who participate in Martin Luther King Day events on Central Michigan University's campus, the break from school on Jan. 18 will be spent remembering the civil rights leader by volunteering, community collaboration and demonstrations.

Assistant Director of Multicultural Cultural Programming for Multicultural Academic Student Services D'Wayne Jenkins has helped plan the week of events for the last four years.

"It's important to remember Martin Luther King Jr.," Jenkins said. "He stood for a lot of different things, and we just need a reminder every year."

Jenkins said there is a similar structure of events that takes place every year surrounding the holiday at CMU, the main traditions being the Peace March on Monday and Unity Ball the last day of the week.

On the actual holiday, there will be a Peace Brunch at 10 a.m. in Finch Fieldhouse. This will be followed by an MLK Day of Service at noon in the Bovee University Center. RSVP on OrgSync for volunteer opportunities. Lastly, a Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. CommUnity Peace March and Vigil will start at 3 p.m. in the Bovee University Center.

Tuesday's events include a Power in the Ballot event, where attendees can register to vote in the Bovee University Center Rotunda with the Mobile Secretary of State. First Lady Elizabeth Ross will introduce a showing of the movie "Selma" from 10 a.m. to noon in the same room, where an information fair will take place afterwards from 1 to 3 p.m. Another civil rights movie will play from 3 to 5 p.m. after the information fair.

On Wednesday a blood drive will take place from noon until 6 p.m. in the Bovee University Center Rotunda. Conversations on Campus sponsored by the Office of Diversity Education will be held at noon in Plachta Auditorium before the keynote speaker, Shaun King, will speak at 7 p.m.

"The Price of Providence" documentary will be played at 5 p.m. in the Bovee University Center auditorium, cosponsored by CMU NAACP and Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc. A Black Lives Matter event will also take place at 7 p.m. in the Bovee University Terrace Rooms.

Friday there is a charity basketball game for students, faculty members and staff at 6 p.m. in the Student Activity Center. Canned goods and nonperishable food items will be collected during the game for the Mobile Food Pantry.

The Unity Ball featuring the play, "Humanity," ends the week at 6 p.m. in the Bovee University Center Rotunda. Tickets are $7 for students and $10 for the general public.

"There is usually an excellent turnout and good community and student involvement," Jenkins said.

About Kate Carlson

Editor-in-Chief Kate Carlson is a senior from Lapeer who is majoring in journalism with a minor in ...

View Posts by Kate Carlson →