Rapid Reaction: Central Michigan 81, Akron 60

wbball_02
Senior guard Da'Jourie Turner and freshmen forward Reyna Frost fight for the ball with an Akron defender during the game against Akron at McGuirk Arena, Saturday, Jan. 23, 2016.

With a 7-0 run to start the game, followed by a 5-0 run shortly after Akron hit its first shot of the game, it was another day at the office for sophomore guard Cassie Breen and company as Central Michigan handled the Akron Zips 81-60.

Freshman Reyna Frost led the Chippewas with 18 points and 20 rebounds, four boards shy of the most in program history. 

There were 1,896 fans at McGuirk Arena for the game.

When CMU (11-7, 5-2 Mid-American Conference) and Akron last played on Jan. 9, the result was similar, as CMU won by 20 points. Here are some key moments of the game:

Jewel Cotton Injury

With just 2:41 to go in the third quarter, junior forward Jewel Cotton was fouled hard and hit knees with Akron sophomore forward Greta Burry. After being down for several minutes, she was able to limp off the court with the help of two trainers. She never returned to the floor, but did return to the bench with a wrap around her right knee.

Head Coach Sue Guevara told the crowd after the game she hopes Cotton will be able to return this season.

Breen getting good shots

It doesn’t matter if she pulls up from a corner for a 3-pointer or if she drives into the paint and lays it in, Breen is making it look easy on the court for the Chippewas. 

She did have a few bad fouls in the second quarter, but made up for it with 17 points, shooting 4-of-8 from three and collecting five rebounds. 

Both benches non-factors

While the bench has been stepping up lately for the Chippewas, the bench was nonexistent after the Cotton injury. Luckily for CMU, it was the same way for the Zips, only having two bench points throughout the entire game. This contest was led by the stars of both teams and CMU’s were just a little better than Akron’s today.

What's next

The women continue a three game home stand on Wednesday as they take on the rival Western Michigan Broncos (12-6, 4-2 MAC), followed by Miami (Ohio) (7-10, 1-5 MAC) next Saturday, Jan. 30.