CMU baseball struggles in weekend series, falls to 0-7

gc_baseballvsohigo0177
Greg Cornwell | Staff Photographer Freshman pitcher Pat Leatherman pitches Saturday at Theunissen Stadium. The Chippewas hosted Ohio in their season home opener.

After being swept during opening weekend against No. 22 Arkansas, Central Michigan baseball had similar results this weekend in Phoenix, Arizona against Grand Canyon, St. Mary’s and Tennessee.

Thursday: Grand Canyon 5, CMU 4

After committing eight errors in the Arkansas series, the Chippewas committed four errors in their first game in Arizona against the Grand Canyon Antelopes, losing 5-4. 

Weekend Stats

CMU hits: 31 (47 all season)

Opposing hits: 46

CMU extra-base hits: 6 (9 all season)

Opposing extra-base hits: 15

CMU runs: 10 (18 all year)

Opposing runs: 43

CMU errors: 15

Opposing errors: 3

CMU scored all four runs in the seventh inning, scoring on a wild pitch, an RBI sacrifice bunt and a two-RBI double by junior first baseman Alex Borglin. CMU had a 4-2 lead before GCU scored a run in the seventh and two runs in the eighth to take the 5-4 lead. 

Freshman pitcher Grant Wolfram went 4 and 2/3 innings for CMU, giving up two runs on three hits and four walks. CMU third baseman Joe Houlihan had two of CMU’s seven hits.

Friday: St. Mary’s 15, CMU 4

By the end of the third inning, St. Mary’s led 7-0, with six runs coming in the bottom of the third. 

By the end of the eighth, the Chippewas were down 15-3, and eventually lost 15-4. Up to this point, the Chippewas had scored 16 runs all season, while giving up 15 on Friday. 

Senior pitcher Sean Renzi went 2 and 2/3 innings after giving up seven runs (six earned) on five hits and seven walks. His ERA grew to 8.31 after the outing. 

Senior second baseman Morgan Oliver hit the first home run of the season for CMU in the eighth inning. Shortstop Zach McKinstry had three of CMU’s nine hits.

Saturday: Grand Canyon 3, CMU 1

CMU starter Nick Deeg had a strong outing, throwing 7 and 1/3 innings, giving up three runs (one earned) on five hits, no walks and seven strikeouts. CMU had three errors Saturday. 

A wild throw from Deeg put a runner in scoring position in the sixth inning. One batter later, Grand Canyon took the lead on a sacrifice fly. CMU tied it up in the eighth after an RBI double by McKinstry, but Grand Canyon got two in its half of the eighth on two errors along with two hits. With two men on base, senior designated hitter Ryan Heeke struck out swinging to end the game.

Sunday: Tennessee 20, CMU 1

Seven games into the 2015 season, the Chippewas were 5-2. One year later, they’re 0-7. 

Tennessee finished off CMU 20-1. In a game which the Chippewas committed seven errors, UT scored three in the first, six in the second, one in the third, four in the fifth, and three in the sixth and seventh innings. 

Redshirt freshman pitcher Pat Leatherman gave up nine runs (eight earned) on eight hits and one walk. Relievers Adam Aldred and Jimmy McNamara combined gave up 11 runs (10 earned) on 11 hits and five walks.

The most runs the Chippewas have scored in a game so far this season is four. They’ve given up more than four runs in six of their seven games.