Simons breaks CMU record for most 3-pointers in program history

2015_1117_mbball_gc019
Greg Cornwell | Staff Photographer Senior forward John Simons drives to the basket against Alma Nov. 17 at McGuirk Arena. The Chippewas defeated the Scots, 79-64.

Senior forward John Simons moved up to first place in the record books Friday, making his 234th career 3-pointer on his first shot of the game.

Simons tied Robbie Harman's record of 233 3-pointers in Tuesday's win over Kent State. He missed a pair of shots late in the game that would have given him the record in front of the home crowd.

“It’ll be cool," Simons said about his potential of breaking the record. "But Josh (Kozinski) has two-and-a-half more years here and he’s one of the best shooters I’ve ever played with.”

Kozinski, a sophomore guard, entered Friday with 142 career 3-pointers.

Simons has been talking with Harman, who played with the Chippewas from 2007-2010. Harman led the nation in 2009-2010 with 105 3-point makes, which is also a CMU record for a single season.

Harman serves as a graduate assistant with the Chippewas. Simons said Harman jokes with him about the record, groaning every time opposing teams leave him wide open.

“Every time I make a three, Robbie (Harman) tells me to work on my pump-fake drive move," Simons said. "It’s fun, it’s been fun.”

Simons entered Friday — with about two-thirds of the season complete — with 52 made 3-pointers this season, well shy of the 91 he had last season.

He has heated up, though, recently. After making nine 3-pointers in a seven-game stretch, Simons is 7-of-14 from 3-point range in his last two games.

Keep up with Central Michigan Life for more on Friday's game against Akron

About Taylor DesOrmeau

Taylor DesOrmeau is a senior at Central Michigan University, majoring in integrative public relations ...

View Posts by Taylor DesOrmeau →