Center for Clinical Experiences to host teacher candidate conference

The Center for Clinical Experiences will host a teacher candidate conference Friday in the Education and Human Services Building.

These conferences are hosted each semester to help special education and general education students who are currently in their student teaching experience prepare for their careers.

The conference will begin at 8:30 a.m. on the first floor of the EHS Building with coffee and donuts. CMU alumnus and Boyne City High School teacher Andy Bryant will open the conference with a keynote speech. Jeff Murphy from the Michigan Education Association Legal Services department will give a presentation about social media. 

The event features breakout sessions such as Teaching Students with Autism: Tips, Strategies and Impact, Introduction to Whole Brain Teaching and Ways to Make Teaching Easier Through Apps and Programs. The breakout session speakers include area teachers, special education faculty and teacher education and professional development faculty.

There will be a panel presentation on diversity in the classroom.

"The purpose (of the conference) is to reconnect with our students in the field and offer them some additional information that will help them as they begin preparing for their teaching careers," said Center for Clinical Experiences coordinator Sheila Roupe.

The conference is supported by CEHS, the Center for Clinical Experiences, the counseling and special education department and the teacher education department.