Softball upsets No. 9 Arizona

b5-softballpreview1
Greg Cornwell/Staff Photographer Freshman pitcher Rachael Knapp launches a ball to a batter in their game against Western at Margo Jonker Stadium on Sunday.

The Chippewas upset No. 9 Arizona 4-1 on Saturday behind a 12-strikeout performance from junior pitcher Rachael Knapp.

Central Michigan softball (4-5 overall) traveled to Palm Springs, California to take part in the Mary Nutter Classic, facing off against three Top 25 opponents this weekend.

After giving up a run on two hits and an error in the first inning, Knapp shut the Wildcats out for the next six. The Chippewas didn’t wait long to strike back, scoring a run in the bottom of the inning on a solo home run off the bat of senior second baseman Chelsea DeLamielleure.

The Chippewas took the lead in the third inning when redshirt shortstop CarolAnn Sexauer hit a two-RBI single with the bases loaded. Sophomore outfielder Sydney Heath contributed an RBI single in the fifth inning, giving CMU its fourth and final run of the game.

The other three matchups so far in the tournament have not gone as well. In the other three games, CMU has given up 41 runs while only scoring one of their own. 

On Friday, CMU started off the Mary Nutter Classic by losing to No. 25 Texas A&M 11-1. Knapp was unable to get out of the third inning, giving up six runs in a two-inning outing. Sophomore Laura Vaccaro came on in relief and allowed five runs across three innings.

A home run by junior Evelyn Lorimer scored the only run of the day for the Chippewas.

CMU finished Friday off with a 7-0 loss to California Polytechnic State. Sophomore Hanna Warren allowed Cal Poly to score all seven of their runs over 2 1/3 innings.

After turning momentum around with the upset victory against Arizona, the Chippewas dropped their second game of the day to No. 11 Washington 23-0.

Warren took the loss in this game as well, allowing 13 runs in 3 2/3 innings pitched. Knapp came on in relief, allowing four runs in 2/3 of an inning on two hits and a walk. Vaccaro pitched the last 2/3 innings, giving up six runs on two walks and four hits.

CMU will look to rebound in their last game of the tournament at noon Sunday against Arkansas.