Former CMU kicker/punter Coluzzi to walk on at Iowa

specialteams_md_001
Meagan Dullack | Photo Editor Special teams junior kicker Ron Coluzzi sets up a field goal kick with senior quarterback Cody Kater Thursday, August 28 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

Former Central Michigan redshirt junior kicker/punter Ron Coluzzi has accepted a walk-on position at the University of Iowa.

Coluzzi said he took an official visit to Iowa City on Jan. 30 and announced his decision via a Facebook post on Feb. 4.

The Hawkeyes, who went 12-2 in 2015-16, are graduating both senior placekicker Marshall Koehn and senior punter Dillon Kidd.

“To be honest, I went with (Iowa) because they have a great opportunity,” Coluzzi said.

Coluzzi plans to graduate from CMU in May with honors, double majoring in marketing and logistics management. He is eligible to play immediately, using his fifth year of eligibility.

Coluzzi did not play against Minnesota in the Quick Lane Bowl Dec. 28 for what Head Football Coach John Bonamego called “personal reasons.”

“I just always wanted to compete at a higher level,” Coluzzi said. “I didn’t really keep that a secret.”

Coluzzi said when word got around to Bonamego, the two decided it would be best to go separate ways.

(MORE: A look at football arrivals and transfers this offseason)

“It’s kind of self-explanatory. When someone on your team doesn’t want to play for your team anymore, the head coach has to go in a different direction for the betterment of the program,” Coluzzi said. “When it comes down to it, this is a business and I know that first and foremost.”

Coluzzi said a lack of loyalty from CMU fans and the Mid-American Conference’s shortcomings with national relevancy made him want to play at a higher level.

“Toward the end of the season, you might get 3,000 to 5,000 people in the stands. It is cold. We had a game the day after Thanksgiving and no one is going to go there from the student body,” Coluzzi said. “When you go to Central Michigan, most of your student body wears Michigan State or Michigan apparel. It shows a lot about your school and how everybody wants to either be a part of a bigger program or go somewhere else. I really took notice of that in the last four years and that’s what made me want to leave (and) compete at a higher level.”

Bonamego said it was a mutual decision for Coluzzi to walk away.

"(There is a) notion that there are other programs that are better because they are bigger. That just means they're bigger, not better," Bonamego said. "I'm awfuly proud at what we have here at CMU. I'm proud of our university, our faculty and our students. I'm proud of the tradition we have here."

Coluzzi said the separation was handled respectfully and he still has great respect for Bonamego.

“(Bonamego) is a great, great man. He’s very knowledgeable when it comes to football and when it comes to life,” he said. “Watching him come into work day in and day out while getting treatment for cancer was life changing and something I will never forget.”

Coluzzi, who hopes to kick in the NFL, said Iowa coaches told him to work on punting, kickoffs and field goals, but mainly the focus on the first two.

“I don’t want to do all three,” he said. “I’m definitely going to prepare to do all three. Whatever the team needs, I will compete and be willing to do whatever they need.”

Coluzzi said Iowa Head Coach Kirk Ferentz is a very humble man and was impressed by his experience.

“He’s 60 years old now. He’s been at Iowa. He’s going on his 18th year as the head coach there and he just seemed like a really simple, family man — really down to earth and humbled,” Coluzzi said.

Coluzzi said he considered multiple Big Ten schools, a Mountain West school and a Southeastern Conference school.

The Naperville, Illinois native started as the field-goal kicker in 2013, hitting 12 of his 17 attempts with a career long of 40 yards. He took over punting responsibilities in 2014. After suffering a concussion against Purdue in 2014, current junior placekicker Brian Eavey took over the field-goal duties.

Coluzzi’s 59 punts in 2015 went for an average of 39.2 yards with 20 falling inside the 20-yard line and three going for touchbacks. Out of his 64 kickoffs, 21 went for touchbacks.

About Andrew Surma

Central Michigan Life Sports Editor

Central Michigan Life Editor in Chief (Summer 2016)

Central ...

View Posts by Andrew Surma →