Heeke announces plans for $10-20 million football facility

img_4137copy
Kaiti Chritz | Photo Editor The Stands were filled at the end of the first quarter during the game on Nov. 10 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

Central Michigan football fans gathered Wednesday at Hunter’s Ale House to see what new players would be arriving on campus this fall. In addition to announcing the new student-athletes to join CMU this fall, plans were announced about a football facility update.

CMU Director of Athletics Dave Heeke asked those in attendance to help support a new facility planned to be constructed on the north end of Kelly/Shorts Stadium where the tunnel is.

Heeke said talks for the new facility are in the early stages and added it is part of the Comprehensive Capital Campaign.

It would cost $10-20 million and would feature locker rooms, meeting space and training space, Heeke said. He said CMU’s current facilities are “dysfunctional.”

“It allows us to relieve some pressure on the other facilities,” Heeke said.

The Athletics Director added he is looking to add some “very attractive, high-level seating options in that area,” which would include amenities, club rooms and boxes.

“We’re committed to investing in a facility,” Heeke said.

Heeke said he the process is currently in a “quiet phase” and needs to find leadership gifts before establishing any timetables.

“Hopefully some of the signees we have coming in have an opportunity to see that new facility,” Heeke said.

Head Football Coach John Bonamego said he has known about the facility since he interviewed for his current position in early 2015. He said CMU is due for upgrades.

“In order to stay competitive in (the Mid-American Conference) and nationally, we need to make some improvements,” Bonamego said. “It’s important in that area that you stay ahead of the curve. We’re excited about that. I know it’s something on the agenda and I hope it happens sooner rather than later.”

About Evan Sasiela

Evan Sasiela is the University Editor at Central Michigan Life and a senior at Central Michigan ...

View Posts by Evan Sasiela →