Wolverines too much for lacrosse in first game in program history

Central Michigan's lacrosse team gave up one goal less than two minutes into its first game in program history.

Through the next 58 minutes, there were 13 more.

The Chippewas trailed 6-0 by halftime and managed their only goal on an injured backup goalkeeper in a 14-1 loss Sunday at Oosterbaan Field House in Ann Arbor.

Despite the loss, Head Coach Sara Tisdale said she was pleased with her players' effort in their first collegiate game.

“Michigan’s a very aggressive, up-tempo team," Tisdale said. "I thought we handled that well for our first game. We were able to execute some of the things that we’ve been working on.”

Four Michigan players had three or more goals. Natalie Carti scored four times, including the opener and the team's final three goals. Jess Angerman, Tess Korten and Kim Coughlan had three goals a piece for the Wolverines.

“You could see they definitely got more into their game plan," Tisdale said. "As the game went on, they got sharper and better. They’re a good opponent.”

Tisdale said the Chippewas took good shots, but was unable to move Michigan starting goalkeeper Mira Shane, who recorded seven saves in her college debut.

“She’s a good goalie," said freshman attacker Kaitlin Kimble. "I think we had some good shots that went off but not just the right look.”

CMU scored with 23:56 left to play. Kimble scored on a wide-open for the first goal in program history. Michigan backup goalkeeper Alli Kothari went down with an injury just before the goal and left the game.

“It was a little bit of a different situation scoring that, but it’s very neat," Kimble said. "I feel honored to have that first goal.”

Kimble's goal made it a 9-1 game before the Wolverines scored the final five with a running clock.

Michigan's experience and execution gave the Wolverines an advantage, according to Kimble. Tisdale said she thought her team was tired out against Michigan's 45-person roster but was happy with the effort.

“The score I don’t think reflects the effort that we put forth," Tisdale said. "We had quality looks. I think we grew up a lot in those 60 minutes.”

Freshman goalkeeper Dominique Hamman allowed 14 goals and saved 10 shots, but Tisdale said she was pleased with her performance and believed her team played smarter defense in the second half.

“She did not play like a freshman goalie," Tisdale said. "She played like an experienced goalie.”

Flocking to Ann Arbor

Tisdale said she noticed more maroon and gold on the sidelines than the maize and blue, something she hoped for.

Fans and parents from Mount Pleasant and beyond gathered in Ann Arbor to witness history. One side of the fieldhouse was filled with Chippewa supporters.

Heather Lemay, the mother of freshman midfielder Jocelyne Lemay, traveled from Canada to watch her daughter play.

“I’m very proud of her, the whole team and the program," Lemay said. "I’m excited and looking forward to the whole season.”

Tom and Suzanne Cannon, the parents of freshman defender Samantha Cannon, drove nine-and-a-half hours from Syracuse, New York. Suzanne said it was worth every minute.

"This is the very first piece of history for women’s lacrosse at Central Michigan," Suzanne said. "We’ve got a great coach who’s been fantastic and going to make a name for herself. These kids are here to give it their all and start this team out with a bang.”

Tom said he "wouldn't miss it for the world."

Freshman midfielder Summer Abdalla said she appreciated the support from the fans and felt the team fed off of it.

“I think the whole team was really pumped up and we were ready to play a high-intensity game," Abdalla said. "We were all pretty nervous going into it, but we were all pretty excited and I thought we executed well.”

Kimble said she had some jitters before the game but said the team was pumped up.

"We were just ready to get out there and show who we were for our first game," Kimble said.

Abdalla said Tisdale gave the team some advice before Sunday's historic game.

“Coach told us before the beginning of the game, ‘Some of the best advice I learned was to take a deep breath and take it all in,’" Abdalla said. "It was our first game at the collegiate level and I think we took it all in.”

The Chippewas will fly to North Carolina for a matchup against Gardner-Webb at noon on Feb. 21. Tisdale said the schedule was planned intentionally to go from a high-powered Michigan team to a weaker opponent in Gardner-Webb, which was 1-16 last season and ended the season ranked 106th out of 107 teams by the NCAA.

“If we can get this product to translate on the Gardner-Webb field, we’re pretty excited about what the opportunities are for us," Tisdale said.

About Evan Sasiela

Evan Sasiela is the University Editor at Central Michigan Life and a senior at Central Michigan ...

View Posts by Evan Sasiela →