World Leader: Midfielder brings global experience to young team

On a stat sheet, the players on the Central Michigan lacrosse team did not stand out entering the season. All but one are freshmen and the entire roster came in with a combined zero appearances in collegiate games.

One player, however, has made an appearance on the world stage.

Freshman midfielder Jocelyne Lemay arrived on campus after representing Canada in the Under-19 World Championships. Lemay stood out to Head Coach Sara Tisdale during the offseason. 

“Bringing her Team Canada experience and playing on that world stage is obviously setting her apart in terms of her experience level, which is great,” Tisdale said.

She stood out on Saturday, as well, scoring three goals on four shots in CMU's 16-4 win over Gardner-Webb — the first victory in program history.

“I think each game is going to prepare us a little more for when we’re in (the conference) season," Lemay said. "Just continuously playing and using our plays and getting those down perfectly and getting more experience will help us.”

Lemay, the only Canadian on the inaugural roster, hails from Peterborough, Ontario. She prepped at Holy Cross Catholic Secondary school.

She was selected to play with Team Canada’s Under-19 Lacrosse Team in 2015. Lemay called the experience was “life-changing” and “unbelievable.”

The midfielder said she thought she would remain home to start college. It was late in the recruiting process when she was contacted by Tisdale and made the decision to move stateside.

“I love the coaches,” Lemay said. “When I came to visit, I connected with them instantly. I like the idea of the new program and the challenges that come with that. I’m willing to take on responsibility.”

Before playing a regular season game, Lemay made an immediate impact. In the team’s first Fall Play Day exhibition event on Oct. 18, Lemay scored four goals in an 11-11 tie against Findlay. Her fifth goal was called back.

Lemay said the key to continuing her success into 2016 is to not “overthink” it.

“I just need to stay focused and work hard,” Lemay said. “If we just go in and play as a team it will work out for us.”

Lemay has been elected a weekly captain for the Chippewas “a couple of times” in practice. She describes herself as a leader more on the field.

“I’ve never been someone that’s very vocal and tells people what to do, but on the field I try to show things more than I would say,” Lemay said.

Freshmen midfielders Logan Halvorson and Natalie Bloniarz said Lemay has already earned the respect of her new teammates.

“She’s definitely a great leader to have on this team,” Halvorson said. “Her experience on the Canadian team helps a lot. She shows everyone else kind of what to do sometimes.”

Bloniarz said Lemay controls the ball well in addition to being a leader.

“She knows how to bring everyone together and she’s a great player,” Bloniarz said.

Lemay said the program’s first season will be a learning process.

“I’m really excited,” she said. “Our team is fired up. We’ve been practicing for months now, so we’re just excited to go out there and play."

About Evan Sasiela

Evan Sasiela is the University Editor at Central Michigan Life and a senior at Central Michigan ...

View Posts by Evan Sasiela →