Sexual assault awareness grant money awarded to CMU

metro

A $33,435 grant was awarded to Central Michigan University for a pilot program aimed at educating students about sexual misconduct awareness and prevention, said Title IX Coordinator Katherine Lasher.

All private and public colleges in Michigan were encouraged to apply for the grant money announced on Nov. 5, 2015 by Michigan First Lady Sue Snyder. Applications were due in October of 2015. The money was proposed to be used for new, innovative ways to prevent sexual assault. CMU was one of 22 Michigan colleges that received money funding totaling in $500,000 across all of the chosen colleges. The grant was funded by the Michigan State Police.

The grant will be used to host a Peer-to-Peer Sexual Assault Awareness and Prevention Training sessions, Lasher said. The pilot program will be taught over five 3-hour sessions during the course of the spring 2016 semester.

"This funding is an important step in working to ensure the long-term safety and success of our state’s students,” Gov. Rick Snyder said in a press release. "Our campuses are our students’ home away from home, these new initiatives will help ensure our students are safe where they live and learn.”

Some of the topics include: feminist theory and social construction of gender equality, responding to a crisis, CMU’s Sexual Misconduct policy, cultural competency, micro-aggressions, safe zones, assault, trauma and intergenerational trauma.

Out of the 22 colleges that received funding, CMU's $33,435 was the fifth largest amount. Lake Superior State was awarded the most with $60,000.

About Kate Carlson

Editor-in-Chief Kate Carlson is a senior from Lapeer who is majoring in journalism with a minor in ...

View Posts by Kate Carlson →