Ten Chippewas post lifetime bests at Notre Dame meet

maintf
Monica Bradburn | Staff Photographer Suttons Bay senior Ben Wynsma (right) and Clio sophomore Silas Dekalita (left) runs in a track meet against Western on Jan 30, at the Indoor Activity Center.

With more than 40 teams competing at the Meyo Invitational at Notre Dame, there wasn’t much room for Central Michigan track and field participants in the top positions.

However, there were still positives to pull from the meet.

Ten Chippewas posted lifetime bests and two topped school records in their events, featuring heavy competition from fellow Mid-American Conference schools like Western Michigan (just the women) and Eastern Michigan. Multiple Big Ten schools also competed, including Michigan, Michigan State and Illinois.

CMU used the two-day event to mentally prepare for the upcoming MAC Championships on Feb. 26 and 27.

“(The athletes) need to see higher-level competition,” said Head Coach Mark Guthrie prior to the meet. “The goal is, when they get to the (MAC) championship, they’ve already seen better competition than they will see on the track, so they will be totally comfortable.”

Lifetime bests

Senior Devene Brown broke the Central Michigan indoor shot put record Saturday with a throw of 52 feet and 7.25 inches. Mary Raney has held the record of 50 feet and 2.75 inches since 2007.

The men’s 4x400-meter relay team of freshman Benjamin Hayes, sophomore Erick Huertas, juniors Ziemowit Dutkiewicz and Quincy Briggs broke the school record set in 2012 (3:14.19) with a time of 3:13.65.

Junior Silas DeKalita posted a time of 4:14.39 in the Meyo Mile — the meet’s signature event. He won his heat and finished 44th overall.

Senior Cole Walderzak finished second in the men’s weight throw (21.2 meters).

Freshman Gabriella Beauvais placed third in the women’s long jump (5.87 meters)

Freshman Taylor Blake ran 21.69 seconds in the men’s 200-meter to finish sixth out of 50 sprinters.

Freshman Simoae Dismuke ran 56.42 seconds in the women’s 400-meter run to finish 23rd overall.

Junior Scott Cousino finished with a time of 1:53.47 in the men’s 800-meter run, which was good for 25th overall.

In the men’s triple jump, freshman Jake Peister finished seventh overall with a jump of 15.2 meters, which is the best mark of his college career.

Sophomore Rebekah Petty finished tied for 13th in the women’s pole vault with a jump of 3.85 meters.

What’s next

“We are going to take 24 hours to enjoy (the success at this meet) and then it will be back to work for next week,” Guthrie said.

CMU will travel to Allendale next weekend for The Big Meet at the Kelly Family Sports Center in Allendale.