Bench steps up as Chippewas get seventh straight win

Central Michigan: 74 | Ball State: 65

2015_1113_womenbball_mb_27_copy
Monica Bradburn | Assistant Photo Editor Jewel Cotton attempts to move around a Indiana State player during the Chippewas' game on Nov. 13 in McGuirk Arena.

Central Michigan women's basketball maintained its first-place position in the Mid-American Conference West Division with a 74-65 road win in Muncie Wednesday night.

It was the Chippewas' seventh consecutive win, putting their record at 16-7 overall and 10-2 in MAC competition.

Coming into the game, CMU was a half game ahead of Ball State in the MAC West standings. It was Ball State’s second home loss of the season.

Sophomore forward Tinara Moore led the team with 19 points and 12 rebounds, recording her 14th double-double of the season. She was also 2-for-3 from 3-point range, while being only 1-for-4 on the rest of the season. The bench finished with 26 points. 

“(Seven straight wins) means a lot for our confidence going into Cleveland,” Moore said. “Right now, we know we can do anything. We’re number one on the west side, so this is really great.”

The first quarter was an offensive shootout, with three 3-point plays to start the game for CMU. Freshman guard Presley Hudson hit two of her first three 3-point shots, while Moore got an and-one opportunity, earning her first three points. Junior guard Jasmine Harris hit a buzzer-beating 3-pointer to end the quarter, as the Chippewas led 22-15.

At the half, the Chippewas were ahead 33-27. Sophomore guard Cassie Breen was held scoreless in the first half, shooting 0-for-2 from the floor.

“They did a pretty good job switching on her,” said Head Coach Sue Guevara. “In the second half, we were able to catch her in transition, which makes a big difference. They gave her a little bit of air and (Breen) took it. She didn’t have that in the first half.”

Breen came out strong in the third quarter, hitting her first three 3-pointers, quickly giving her nine points. She nine points and six rebounds.

On the other side of the court, Ball State senior guard Nathalie Fontaine had 12 points and eight rebounds at halftime. She averages 20.8 points and 9.8 rebounds per game. She ended the game shooting 11-for-20 with 29 points and 14 rebounds.

“(Fontaine's) a great player,” Moore said. “It was definitely difficult (defending her). One of the keys of the game was to stop her. She got her points, but we ended up winning, so that’s okay.” 

Ball State's top four scorers combined for 36 points — Fontaine had 29 of them. Jill Morrison, who averages 12.1 points per game, had five points. Moriah Monaco averages 10.8 points per game, but went 0-for-6 from the field tonight and had zero points. Renee Bennett was only 1-for-7 from the field and had two points — she typically gets 9.8 points per game.

By the end of the third quarter, CMU took control and led 55-41. Sophomore guard Aleah Swary hit a 3-pointer, junior forward Jewel Cotton hitting 4-of-5 shots with nine points and Harris had five points.

The Chippewas had a 10-0 run beginning at the end of the third quarter, going through the start of the fourth quarter. On that run, Swary hit her second 3-pointer and Cotton hit her fifth total field goal. The Chippewas led by as many as 19 points. The Cardinals never led in the game.

Swary finished with eight points and Cotton finished with 13 points and six rebounds.

“I thought that our bench really contributed well for us tonight,” Guevara said. “When you look at our team and you look at Ball State’s, our starting five could go toe-to-toe with theirs. I thought the difference (in the game) would be the benches. I thought that’s what did it.”

CMU will travel to Northern Illinois (10-12, 3-8 MAC) this Saturday and then return to McGuirk Arena on Feb. 20 to take on the Toledo Rockets (13-9, 8-3 MAC).